Virgil Sapp Scholarship | Wendell Smith Scholarship
Virgil Sapp Scholarship
Through the Virgil N. Sapp Scholarship Fund, partial financial assistance is available to persons enrolling in credit courses administered through the School of Professional & Continuing Studies. Scholarship guidelines and application are available by clicking the links below or by calling (314) 516-5915.
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Spring Semester (including Winter Intersession): December 1
- Summer Session: May 1
- The applicant must be a degree-seeking student enrolling in an UMSL undergraduate or graduate level credit course offered by the School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS), or
- The applicant is full-time (75% FTE or more) support staff for PCS or for one of the University of Missouri Extension Centers (St. Louis, Jefferson and St. Charles counties). These applicants may enroll in any graduate or undergraduate level course offered by UMSL.
- If enrolling at UMSL for the first time, the applicant must meet campus and departmental admission standards and demonstrate promise of academic success through the submission of two letters of recommendation (in the case of PCS or UM Extension Center staff, one of the letters must be from his/her direct supervisor or center director).
- If re-enrolling at UMSL, the applicant must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5/4.0.
- The applicant must submit a 200 word (or less) response to the following questions: What are your educational goals? How will this scholarship help you attain them?
- Scholarships are non-renewable but scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply every 12 months.
- Non recipients are eligible to re-apply every semester/session
- This scholarship is stackable with other awards.
One scholarship in the amount of $500 will be awarded for Fall Semester, Spring Semester (including Winter Intersession), and Summer Session.
If no award is made in any given semester, the amount of that award will be carried over to the next semester, and more than one award will be made, if possible.
The total amount awarded each year will be $1,500 or the total amount available in the fund for award that year.
Scholarship recipients will be determined by the Virgil N. Sapp Scholarship Committee, which will be constituted annually by the Dean, School of Professional and Continuing Studies. The committee will meet three times a year to award the scholarship.
Please send applications to the Dean, School of Professional & Continuing Studies at 1 University Boulevard, 121 Woods Hall, St. Louis Missouri, 63121-4400.
Questions may be addressed to the Dean’s assistant at (314) 516-5915.
Wendell Smith Scholarship
- Fall Semester September 1
- Spring Semester December 1
Eligible Certificate Programs
- All Computer Education and Training Center (CETC) certificate programs
- Certificate in Audio Recording
- Write Stuff Chancellor’s Certificate Program
- Digital Media Marketing Certification
- Chancellor’s Certificate in Planning and Zoning
- Orff-Schulwerk Certification Workshop
- Tackling the Tough Skills Dean’s Certificate Program for Trainers (criteria #3 is waived)
- The applicant must be enrolled in one of the scholarship eligible non-credit certificate programs through the School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS).See list above.
- The applicant must be enrolled in the program as the sole financial payer. Employer sponsored individuals are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- To be eligible to apply, the applicant must have completed at least one course in the eligible program prior to submitting an application.
- The applicant must submit a 200 word (or less) essay in response to the following question: How will completing this certificate program enhance your career/career outlook/professional performance?
- Applicants may only receive one scholarship per certificate program.
- Non-recipients are eligible to re-apply every semester/session.
- Applications deadlines: August 1st for fall courses and December 1st for spring and summer courses.
- Scholarship awards will be applied to the last class(es) of those required for the certificate.
- Scholarship awards must be used within one calendar year of the award. Unused awards will be returned to the scholarship endowment for future awards.
- The recipients will receive a scholarship certificate, which can be used to redeem the scholarship award upon registering for the last class (es) in the eligible certificate program.
- Scholarship awards will be variable, based on the cost of the course or program not to exceed $200 per award and will be awarded for each fall semester and spring semester.
- Scholarships are non-renewable.
- Questions may be addressed to the Dean’s assistant at (314) 516-5915.
- Scholarship recipients will be determined by the PCS Scholarship Committee, which will be constituted annually by the Dean, School of Professional and Continuing Studies. The committee will meet twice a year to award the scholarship.
- Please send applications to the Dean, School of Professional & Continuing Studies at 1 University Boulevard, 303 JC Penney Building/Conference Center, St. Louis Missouri, 63121-4400.