Advising and Registration
Students who are attending the College of Nursing pre-licensure track are required to meet with an advisor through their first academic year. The advisor will review all course requirements and evaluate transcripts, if applicable.
International or Permanent Resident Students
Students with International status are required to take English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment at the University. Based upon the assessment students may be required to complete recommended ESL courses prior to enrolling in Nursing courses.
After the first semester, students attending classes at outreach sites will receive an email with registration instructions from Veronica Hayes.
We hope to make the registration process as easy as possible for you. Shortly before registration time, you will receive two emails; one from the registrar and one from the College of Nursing, both sent to your UMSL email address. The email from the Registrar will include your registration date and time, which are assigned by class standing: graduate students and seniors first, juniors next, etc. Be aware that it is not an appointment. It will be impossible for you to register officially until the date and time assigned by the Registrar; however, when the schedule of courses is available online, you may pre-register on or after the first date of registration in the Office of Student Services by an appointment with an advisor, Depending on your program, you will register in one of the following ways:
|MSN Program On CAMPUS and MSN Outreach:
||Students will register with Veronica Hayes by either email, firstname.lastname@example.org or appointment, 516-6066.
|RN to BSN Programs:
||Students will receive an email from Christina Vanatta. Please respond to the email to register.
|Prelicensure BSN Program:
Students will be allowed to pre-register in Nursing anytime on or after the first day of official registration. All nursing courses require a special consent number, so you must register in one of the manners listed below.
Please note these special circumstances:
- Students who have not sent final transcripts from all schools attended cannot register.
- Students registering for any clinical course must make an appointment to see an advisor. Express registration is not available for clinical registration.
To Register with an advisor:
- Make an appointment with an advisor (516-6066). You may preregister to hold your space in nursing courses or wait for your assigned date and time.
- Before your appointment, view the course schedule on the web site at www.umsl.edu/curriculum/COURSES/. Print and complete the following course request form.
- Bring your completed course request form to your advising appointment. If you are preregistering, the advisor will hold your course request form until your assigned date and time, register you, and then you can view and print your schedule on MyView. Your fee statement will be sent to your UMSL email address by the Cashier's office.
To Express Register for preclinical courses only:
- View the course schedule on the web site at www.umsl.edu/curriculum/COURSES/ . Print and complete the following course request form.
- At the bottom of the course request form, check Express Registration, sign, date, and drop off the form in Student Services anytime on or after the beginning of pre-registration.
- An advisor will approve your schedule, register you for classes, you can view and print your schedule on MyView. Your fee statement will be sent to your UMSL email address by the Cashier's office. IMPORTANT: If you request a course section which is closed or a course for which you have not met the prerequisites, an advisor will telephone you. She will not automatically substitute another section or course.
Senior Level Students
Seniors must make an appointment to meet with an advisor for an advising audit during the semester prior to graduation to verify that all requirements will be completed by the anticipated graduation date.
Students will not be permitted to register for their final semester until all transcripts from colleges/universities they have attended, other than UM-St. Louis have been received and all proficiency requirements and/or tests have been passed. Any video courses taken in the final semester must be completed before the last regular day of classes.
One year prior to graduation, graduate students must make an appointment to meet with an advisor for an advising audit that will verify that all requirements will be completed by the anticipated graduation date.