- Program and Practice Evaluation
- Health Policy
- Community Health
- Research Methodologies
- BSN, St. Louis University
- MSN, St. Louis University
- PhD, St. Louis University
- Perinatal and preconception health
- Infant mortality
- Healthcare utilization, access and financing
- Disparities in maternal-child health
Research & Grants:
- Advancing Interconception Wellness Among At-Risk Post-Partum Women, St. Louis Community/University Heath Research Partnership (CUHRP), Role: Co-Investigator, Pamela Xaverius & Kendra Copanas Co-Principal Investigators, $99,070, 2010-2011
- Weight Management by Advanced Practice Nurses: Formation of a Practice-Based Research Network, Washington University Institute for Clinical and Translational Sciences, Role: Co-Principal Investigator, $75,000, 2010-2011
- Impact of Parish Nurse Ministry on Childrens Health, Deaconess Parish Nurse Ministries, Role: Principal Investigator, $25,000, 2001-2002
- St. Louis Healthy Start Grant, HRSA, Grantee: March of Dimes of Greater St. Louis on behalf of the St. Louis Maternal/Child and Family Health Coalition, Role: Coordinator for grant-writing team & Implementation Consultant, $2,200,000, 2001-2004
- Planning and Implementation Grant for St. Louis Maternal/Child and Family Health Coalition, Deaconess Foundation, Grantee: March of Dimes, Role: Principal Collaborator & Implementation Consultant, $150,000, 2000-2003
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Kiel, D, Flick, L, Homan, S. (December, 2008). Gestational weight gain in obese women: Does one size fit all? Paper presented at the 14th Annual Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Kiel, D., Dodson, E., Artal, R., Boehmer, T., Leet, T. (October, 2007). Gestational weight gain in obese women: How much is enough? Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Dodson, E, Kiel, D. Boehmer, T. Artal, R. Leet, T. (January, 2006). Gestational weight gain in obese women: How much is enough? Poster presentation at the 26th Annual Meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Miami, FL..
- Kiel, D. Take Heart: Planning Heart Health Initiatives in Faith Communities, (September 2004) International Westberg Symposium, Pre-conference Workshop, St. Louis, Mo.
- Kiel, D. Ingraham, H. Roche, D. (November, 2003). Partnering with Communities to Assess Environment and Affect Change, Presentation of an unpublished paper, American Public Health Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Kiel, D. (September, 2003). Health and Wellness Needs of Incarcerated Women, Audio-conference Presentation, Womens Health Issues and Trends, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio
- Kiel, D. Rethemeyer, (November 2002). Keeping the Faith, Evaluating Parish Nurses Working with Families and Children, A. Presentation of an unpublished paper, American Public Health Association, Philadelphia, PA.