Applying for Financial Aid
Visiting and Non-Degree Students
Financial Aid Basics
Glossary of Terms
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Scholarships and Grants
Find a Scholarship
Apply for a Scholarship
State of Missouri Grants and Scholarships
Writing Thank You Notes to Your Scholarship Donor
UMSL Net Price Calculator
Time to fill out the 2016-2017 FAFSA!
Beginning on January 1, 2016, you can complete your 2016-2017 FAFSA for the Fall 2016, Spring 2017, and Summer 2017 semesters. Be sure to complete your FAFSA before April 1, 2016 so that you can be considered for all financial aid. If you or your parents will not complete your taxes before April 1, you can estimate your income and other tax return information, and then correct your application after you have filed your taxes.
When estimating your tax return information, you should indicate that you will file your taxes. If your 2015 income is similar to your 2014 income, use your 2014 tax return to provide estimates for questions about your income. If your income is not similar, use the Income Estimator, in the FAFSA application, for assistance estimating your adjusted gross income, and answer the remaining questions about your income to the best of your ability. You must return to update the estimates you provided with your 2015 tax return information once you file. If your tax return information is available and if you are eligible to do so, you should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax return information into your application.
You will need an FSA ID (it replaces the PIN) to sign your FAFSA. For more information on how to create an FSA ID, please see this flyer from the US Department of Education.
Summer 2016 Financial Aid
It's never too early to start planning ahead. If you think you will be registering for the Summer 2016 semester, we'll use your 2015-2016 FAFSA along with our Summer Aid application which will be available April 1.
Fall 2016 Financial Aid
If you are a new undergraduate student to UMSL, we will start mailing financial aid award notices around April 1 for the Fall 2016 semester. We will mail award notices to new graduate and professional students later in April.
Upcoming Important Dates
- March 1, 2016 New student Scholarship application deadline for students starting Fall 2016
- April 1, 2016 Continuing student Scholarship application deadline for students enrolling in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017
- April 1, 2016 Priority deadline for financial aid for Fall 2016 or Spring 2017
- April 1, 2016 We will start mailing new undergraduate student financial aid awards for the Fall 2016 semester
- June 2016 We will start mailing continuing student financial aid awards for the Fall 2016 semester after Spring 2016 grades have been posted and evaluated.
- October 1, 2016 You can complete your 2017-2018 FAFSA!!! More details will be available in April 2016.