The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is designed to help undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need by providing meaningful employment that can help to offset educational expenses. The Office of Student Financial Services assists qualifying students find a part-time position on campus or off campus at an approved community service site. Your FWS hourly wage will be at least the current federal minimum wage and may be based on experience and years of participation in the program. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. Students are paid for hours worked on a bi-weekly basis.
Eligibility for Federal Work Study
You must have completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the applicable year.
You must turn in any documents required by the Office of Student Financial Services. This may include:
- Verification Documents
- Citizenship Verification
- Selective Service Registration
- Any other documents that would prevent you from receiving federal student aid
You must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- A minimum 2.0 GPA for undergraduate students and 3.0 GPA for graduate students
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by your FAFSA
- Enrolled at least half-time (6 hours/semester for undergraduates, 5 hours/semester for graduate students)
- You must have been awarded Federal Work-Study. You can access MyView to see if you have been awarded FWS.
- You must have attended a mandatory work-study orientation session.
- Priority is given to students already participating in the FWS program.
- Funding for the FWS program is very limited.
- New hire applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Federal Work Study application is usually available in early April preceding the start of the academic year. Please check with the Office of Student Financial Services for more information about when the application will be made available each year. Once the application is available, you can find it in the Forms section of the Student Financial Services website.
To apply for a position, you must have been awarded Federal Work Study and be registered to attend a work-study orientation session.