Common Searches

Student Financial Services FAQs

1098-T FAQs

What is the IRS Form 1098-T? 

The Form 1098-T is a statement that colleges and universities are required to issue to certain students. It provides the total dollar amount paid by the student for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses (or “QTRE”) in a single tax year.

When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

Your Form 1098-T will be available to you electronically on or before January 31 through TouchNet. Students login via myView. Authorized Users will login through their TouchNet Authorized User portal.

Why don’t the numbers on Form 1098-T equal the amounts I paid during the year?

There are potentially many reasons. First, the amount in Box 1 only represents amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) and does not include payments made for room and board, insurance, health service fees, or parking which, though important, are not considered mandatory education expenses for tax purposes. Second, the 1098-T reports amounts that the student paid in a certain year, and the pay date does not necessarily correspond to the dates that the classes were attended. For example, tuition for the Spring semester is typically billed in December so a student may have paid tuition for the Spring semester in one calendar year, with the classes beginning in the next calendar year. The best and most accurate source of information about the amounts that you paid for qualified tuition and related expenses will be on your billing statements.

Does the 1098-T include charges for books?

No, the University does not include amounts paid for books in Box 1 of Form 1098-T. You should consult with your tax advisor to determine if payments for books, equipment or fees should be considered when preparing your income tax returns and determining eligibility for education tax credits or deductions.

What semesters are included on my Form 1098-T?

Typically, charges are posted to your student account in December for the Spring semester and in July for the Fall semester. Box 1 of Form 1098-T reflects payments made during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses and it is not based on when the classes were attended or billed to the student account. Your billing statements will show the dates payments were posted to your account and are a valuable resource for determining the semesters that are included in your Form 1098-T. You can access your billing statements in TouchNet through the campus’s student information system (myZou, myView, Pathways or JoeSS) as the student and through TouchNet’s Authorized User login portal for Authorized Users.

I am a graduate student and I received fellowship payments. Where is my fellowship reported on my Form 1098-T?

For Form 1098-T purposes, fellowships are considered financial aid and will be reported in Box 5 (ie: scholarships, grants, fellowships). Form 1098-T reports activity occurring in the calendar year. Therefore, if the total aid you received during the calendar year (reportable in Box 5) exceeds the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) paid during the same calendar year, you will not receive a Form 1098-T.

I graduated in May, do I have a Form 1098-T for the calendar year?

Some May graduates will not be issued a Form 1098-T because there is a possibility that payments for QTRE for the Spring semester were made on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year. If a student paid for the Spring semester and any other outstanding QTRE charges in a different calendar year, then the student may not receive a Form 1098-T.

How do I prepare my tax returns without a Form 1098-T?

Form 1098-T reports payments received from the student for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 1) during the preceding calendar year. However, if the student receives scholarships, grants and/or fellowships in the preceding year in excess of the amounts they paid in QTRE, the University is not required to issue a Form 1098-T to the student. When determining your eligibility for education related tax credits and deductions, you will need to report the amount you paid for qualified education and related expenses. Therefore, your Monthly Billing Statements will be the best and most accurate source of information for amounts paid for qualified education and related expenses. This is true regardless of whether you receive a Form 1098-T or not.

My accountant says that the University must provide me with a form 1098-T.

The University is not required by the IRS to furnish a Form 1098-T in the following instances: Payments for courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program. Enrolled student is a nonresident alien, unless requested by the student. Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with grants/scholarships. Students for whom you do not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Why isn’t Box 2 filled out on my Form 1098-T when it has been in prior year? 

In previous years, Form 1098-T included a dollar amount in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) the University billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the University must report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

I can’t get access to my Form 1098-T because I have graduated and have forgotten my access information.

Please contact the IT Department (314) 516-6034 to have your password reset in order to access MyView.

Who can claim an Education Tax Credit?

See the IRS website for information on who can claim education tax credit.

What Is The American Opportunity Credit? 

The American Opportunity Credit is a credit for qualified education expenses paid for an eligible student for the first four years of higher education. See the IRS website for more information on the amount of the credit, who is eligible, and how to claim the credit.

I paid my tuition and related expenses with government-subsidized student loans. Can I still claim a tax credit?

The IRS website addresses this question, stating: “Yes, higher education expenses paid with the proceeds of a government-subsidized loan may qualify for the credit if you must repay the loan. Additionally, you claim the credit in the year in which you pay the expenses, not in the year in which you repay the loan. Note: You can't claim the American opportunity credit on either an original or an amended return if either you or the student didn't have a taxpayer identification number by the due date of your return (including extensions), even if you or the student later gets one of those numbers.”

What if I am an international student? 

the University of Missouri is not required to supply Nonresident Aliens (NRA) with the form 1098-T according to the guidelines established by the Internal Revenue Service. This is because nonresident alien students are not eligible for education tax benefits. However, because the University of Missouri cannot definitively determine which foreign students are residents for tax purposes, we will generate one at the request of a student and forward the information to the IRS. We may ask for a completed Form W-9S, Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, or similar statement to obtain the student’s name, address, and taxpayer identification number. To request that a 1098-T be generated for you, please contact your campus non-resident alien tax specialist.

Billing & Account FAQs

Can I enroll if I owe a balance from a prior term?

Students who have not met their financial obligations may have a past due indicator placed on their accounts. Students with past due indicators are prevented from obtaining transcripts, enrolling in classes and/or charging items in the bookstore to their student accounts. In addition, students whose accounts are not paid in full at the time of graduation will not receive a diploma or any other certification of program completion.

Why is there a finance charge on my billing statement?

If you choose to pay the minimum payment shown on your billing statement, your student account will be assessed a 1% finance charge of your Adjusted Amount Due each month.  Unless you are enrolled in the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Plan (ERDPP), any account balance that is carried over from month to month will be assessed the 1% finance charge. No finance charge will be assessed if the full Adjusted Amount Due is paid by the due date.

Why doesn’t my bill show my last payment?

Billing statements are created once a month, and not updated until the next one is created. Any payments or charges will not be reflected on the billing statement until the next month. You would be able to see the current activity in Additional Authorized Access under Student Financial Account Information.

How much will it cost for me to take classes at UMSL?

The amount that a student is charged depends on many factors. The rates depend on if you are Undergraduate or Graduate, and if you are a Missouri resident, Metropolitan student, or a Non-Missouri resident. Tuition is charged by credit hour and you can refer to the Tuition and Fees webpage for details.

For Undergraduate students, we also have an Undergraduate Fee Estimator that will help you determine if you will have an out of pocket amount. This form is only an estimate, but may be a useful tool for your semester financial planning.

You can review the cost of housing and meal plans on the Residential Life website.

Will I still have a bill if I receive financial aid?

Anticipated financial aid is not treated as a minimum payment or monthly payment on your student account. You will still have a bill with a minimum payment due. What your anticipated aid will do is reduce your account balance resulting in a lower minimum payment due.

If your anticipated financial aid is less than your total semester charges, your billing statement would show the anticipated aid as being deducted from your account balance giving you an Adjusted Amount Due to pay. Your minimum payment would be a percentage of the Adjusted Amount Due plus a 1% finance charge of the Adjusted Amount Due. Students should pay either the Adjusted Amount Due or the Minimum Payment by the due date to avoid a $25 late payment fee.

If your Anticipated Financial Aid is more than your total semester charges, your billing statement would show zero for both the Adjusted Amount Due and the Minimum Payment. In this situation you would not need to make a payment.

Why hasn’t my financial aid been posted to my student account?

Financial aid will not be credited to your student account more than 10 days prior to the start of classes, as required by financial aid regulations. Before your financial aid can be posted to your student account, you must be registered for sufficient class hours to be considered eligible for the aid. For example, if the amount of the Pell Grant you were offered requires that you be enrolled in classes full time (12 hours) and you register for 6 hours. Financial aid will not be posted to your student account until your enrollment has been reviewed. The Pell Grant amount will need to be adjusted to the amount of a part-time student.

If you filed for your financial aid in advance, you may need to follow up with Student Financial Services at (314) 516-5526 or financialaid@umsl.edu. There may be incomplete paperwork, additional paperwork or signatures needed.

How can I qualify for in-state fee rates?

There are certain criteria that must be met in the 12 months prior to the academic term for which residency is requested.

  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent in another state
  • Reside in Missouri continuously
  • Have significant taxable earned income in Missouri
  • Have a valid Missouri Driver’s License, a Missouri Voter Registration Card, and if a car is registered in the students name, proof of registration in Missouri
  • Permanent Resident Alien Card (non-U.S. citizens only)

Optometry students must also have a signed statement from the student of intent to make Missouri his/her permanent state of residence and a written job offer from a licensed practicing Missouri optometrist or ophthalmologist for a position immediately following graduation and licensure.

You must complete a petition for residency status form and submit it with all of the required documents. For a copy of the form and more information, see the Residency Information page.

Where online can I get a printout of my charges and payments to give to my employer? 

Online in the MyView student system, students can print a 'Paid Fees Letter' detailing semester charges and credits.

What address should I use if I am paying my bill through my banks’ online bill pay service?

Please use our UMSL Campus address for electronic payments through your bank:

University of Missouri -St. Louis
Student Financial Services
One University Blvd.
St Louis MO 63121-4400

Why am I being billed for courses that I thought were dropped?

It is your responsibility to petition to drop a course you are enrolled in. Not attending class or not accepting financial aid does not constitute an official drop or withdrawal.

Through the official add/drop period, courses may be dropped, without approval or signatures through MyView, or in person at the Registrar's Office. See the Office of Registration webpage for add/drop/withdrawal deadlines.

After the official add/drop period, complete an add/drop form, seek the required signatures and submit the form to your college department.

Withdrawing from the University- Pick up a Drop/Excused Grade Form from your Dean’s office.  Complete the form and follow the directions provided by the College in which you are enrolled.

Tuition refunds are reduced (or prorated) based on the date the course is dropped. See the Fee Reassessment Schedule for details.

What are my payment options and what methods of payment do you accept?

Students have the option to pay in full or use the minimum payment option. All charges incurred by a student will be consolidated into one account. The student will be billed and must make a payment by the due date indicated on the bill. An option will be provided on the monthly bill for the minimum payment. Students that elect to make the minimum payment will incur a finance charge of 1% per month on the unpaid billed balance after the due date. You can determine due dates and percentage due for the minimum payment schedule by referring to the Billing Schedule.

The minimum payment amount is calculated by taking the total charges on your account and subtracting any anticipated financial aid or third party credits. This would give you the Adjusted Amount Due. The Adjusted Amount Due is multiplied by the appropriate Minimum Amount Due percentage. Unless your financial aid and/or third party credit is greater than the total amount due, you owe a payment.

Total charges - (Anticipated Financial Aid + Third Party Credit) = Adjusted Amount Due
Adjusted Amount Due X Minimum Percentage Due = Minimum Payment

 Payments are accepted in the office, through the mail, and online.

  • In the office you may pay with cash, check, money order, or pin based debit cards.
  • You may mail a check or money order.
  • Online payments may be made by authorized users, or those using the guest payer site.  Authorized users may pay with echeck or credit card.  We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit cards. Guest payers may only pay by credit card. Credit card payments are assessed a 2.95% service fee with a $3.00 minimum service fee. There is no service fee if paying with an echeck. 

Checks and money orders should be made out to the University of Missouri. The office is located at One University Blvd, 327 MSC, St. Louis, MO 63121-4400.

How do I avoid finance charges?

To avoid finance charges, the student must pay the Adjusted Amount Due from the billing statement in full by the semester due date on the statement.

Who do I notify about an address and a last name change?

You can change your address online in MyView or by contacting the Registration Office at (314) 516-5545 or by email at registration@umsl.edu. Legal name changes must be notarized. Download the change of name and/or address form.

Where can I get a transcript?

A transcript cannot be released if there is a financial hold on your student account. For information about ordering a transcript, visit the Registration and Records website.

Direct Deposit FAQs

If I have signed up for Direct Deposit in the past, do I need to sign up again for this semester?

You do not need to sign up for Direct Deposit each semester. If you have signed up for Direct Deposit in the past, your bank account information will still be in the system. You can verify or change your Direct Deposit account information in MyView by going to: Self Service > Campus Finances > Manage Direct Deposit.

When will my funds be available to me?

Refunds are processed daily for excess financial aid and other credit balances. Allow 3-5 business days from the day that your refund is processed to receive your refund in your bank account.

Can my refund be deposited in the account of my choice?

Yes, you may choose any U.S. (or domestic) bank account for your direct deposit refund. This includes checking, savings, parents, etc.

How will I know when my refund is posted to my bank account?

You will be notified by email at your umsl.edu email address. Notification will include amount, bank name, checking/savings and date of deposit. You must confirm your deposit with your bank. The email is generally sent 24-48 hours prior to the deposit of funds. Do not write any checks using your credit balance until you confirm that the funds are available in your account. The University is not responsible for bank charges you may incur by writing checks on an unconfirmed deposit.

What happens if I change banks?

Direct deposit is set up online through the MyView system. Set up or manage your direct deposit information.

What happens if my refund is not accepted by my bank?

If a direct deposit refund is not accepted by your bank, you may have entered incorrect banking information when setting up the direct deposit. When Student Financial Services receives the rejection we will cancel your direct deposit information (if it has not been updated) and reprocess the refund. If we cancel your direct deposit information, the reprocessed refund will go out as a paper check to your mailing address.

How can I sign up for Direct Deposit if I do not have access to MyView?

You must have access to MyView to add or edit your direct deposit account. Please contact the IT Department at (314)516-6034 to have your password reset in order to access MyView.

Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Plan FAQs

The University of Missouri - St. Louis is pleased to offer the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Plan (ERDPP). Many companies offer some type of educational assistance to their employees. Some pay the university directly, while others prefer reimbursing the employee after they receive their grades. If this is the case for you, ERDPP may be beneficial to you. Students who participate in a company reimbursement plan may be eligible for ERDPP. This agreement allows the student to defer payment of the reimbursable portion of their educational fees until the date specified each semester. ERDPP allows you to extend your payment due date to approximately 30 days from the close of the semester. All finance charges and late payment fees are suspended through the dates of your participation and you will not be canceled. ERDPP may be used for those not able to pay their fees by the due dates of their statements.

How can I benefit from ERDPP?

If your employer pays part or all of your educational fees, but pays you after the semester has ended, you may be eligible for ERDPP. All finance charges and late payment fees will be suspended through the dates of your participation and you will also avoid cancellation for non-payment. You will also be allowed to pre-register for the next semester while covered by EDRPP.

Is there a fee for ERDPP?

Yes, there is a small non-refundable participation fee of $50.00 due at the time of your application, along with any fees not covered by your employer.

What are my advantages to paying the application fee?

There will not be any finance charges or late payment fees applied during the semester of your participation, no monthly minimum payments, you will avoid cancellation and you will be able to pre-register for your next semester. However, if payment is not made by the set due date finance charges, late payment fees will start accruing, a late processing fee will be applied and your next semester classes will be cancelled.

How can I participate?

Obtain an application form from the Office of Student Financial Services or download the form. Fill out the student sections, read all terms and conditions and have your employer complete the employer section. Return your signed and completed application along with a copy of your employer’s reimbursement policy, the $50.00 application fee and payment for any fees not covered by your employer’s reimbursement policy.  University approval is required prior to acceptance in ERDPP.

How often do I need to submit an application?

A new application form and fee will need to be submitted every semester. Your eligibility must be verified for each semester you attend the University of MissouriSt. Louis.

Is there a deadline for submitting my application?

Yes, your application and $50.00 non-refundable application fee must be received no later than one week prior to your first payment due date. Payment for fees not covered by your employer’s reimbursement policy will need to be paid at the time of your application submission.

Are there expenses other than the application fee and when are these fees due? 

Along with the $50.00 non-refundable application fee, you will be required to pay all fees that are not part of your employers’ reimbursement program. For example: If your employer will pay 100% of your educational fees, but will not pay for parking permit fees or books, you would be required to pay those fees when you submit your application and application fee.

After completing my courses, how long do I have to submit payment in full to the University of Missouri–St. Louis? 

You will have approximately 30 days from the end of the semester to clear your balance with the university. (Your application will list the exact due date.)

Will I continue to get monthly billing statements?

Yes,you will continue to receive your monthly billing statements just as a reminder of the balance due to the university. New charges that appear on your billing statement should be paid by the billing due date.

Will I be allowed to register for an upcoming semester, while waiting for reimbursement from my employer? 

Yes, the university will allow you to pre-register. But you will be cancelled from your pre-registered classes if your prior semester payment is not made by the due date stipulated on your application form.

What if my employer has not reimbursed me or my grades are not acceptable and I am unable to make payment?

Since ERDPP is an extended payment plan, there will be a late processing fee of $100.00 applied to the balance. Finance charges and late payment fees will begin to accrue as well. Any newly registered courses will be cancelled if payment is not made by the payment in full deadline.

Is my employer held responsible for payment of my fees?

No, it is the responsibility of the student to remit payment by the due date listed on the application form. The University will not bill your employer for any fees.

Can I negotiate another due date?

No, since ERDPP is an extended due date, your payment due date can not be extended.

Where can I get additional information and assistance? 

Visit the Student Financial Services at 327 Millennium Student Center, call us at (314) 516-5151 or email us at umslcash@umsl.edu.


Where do I get a FAFSA?

A FAFSA is to be completed online at the Federal Student Aid website . High school seniors may also get a FAFSA from their guidance counselors.

I filed the FAFSA more than 4 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. How do I check on my application?

To check on your application, please call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243. You can check on your electronic application by going to the Federal Student Aid website. The electronic processing time is generally 3-5 business days before UMSL is able to verify receipt.

I forgot to list UMSL as a school to receive my information when I filed the FAFSA. How do I add UMSL to the list?

You can call log into the Federal Student Aid website and add our school code or you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243 and request that UMSL be added (our school code is 002519)

My parents are divorced. Whose information should I list on the FAFSA?

You should provide the information of the parent with whom you lived for most of the previous 12 months. If you did not live with either parents, or divided the time equally between the two, provide the information for the parent from whom you received most financial support.

Do I need to provide my stepfather's/step mom's information on the FAFSA?

If the parent with whom you lived most of the year prior to the aid year for which you are applying is remarried, you should include the stepparent's information on the FAFSA.

I am currently single, but plan to marry over the summer before school starts. How should I report my marital status?

Marital status should be reported as of the date that the FAFSA is signed by the applicant.

Should I report my parents' retirement funds as assets?

The value of the retirement accounts (IRA's, 401K) should not be included under assets. However, the annual retirement fund contributions should be listed as untaxed income.

After you apply:

About 3-5 business days after submitting an electronic FAFSA, you will receive an email including your Student Aid Report (SAR). It will include a summary of the information you reported on the FAFSA--please review the information. If necessary, make corrections, sign the form, and either return it to the Federal Processor as instructed on the form, or submit the form to Student Financial Services.

The SAR may also include certain comments concerning the information you reported, such as indicators that the FAFSA information is incomplete or questionable. Please review these comments and take the recommended action to resolve the problem.

The SAR will also tell you a general statement of what aid you could be eligible for. At the time you receive the SAR, the financial aid office will receive the same information in the electronic format. If you've been admitted to the university as a degree-seeking student they will contact you via UMSL email with an offer of aid or a request for additional information needed to determine your eligibility for financial aid.

Financial Literacy FAQ

Which Financial Aid should I accept?

You will want to consider the types of aid and what you qualify for, please see photo below for more information. 

Order to Accept Aid Type of Aid What to Keep in Mind
1 Scholarships and Grants Make sure you understand the conditions you must meet (for instance, you might have to maintain a certain grade-point average in order to continue receiving a scholarship, or your TEACH Grant might turn into a loan if you don't teach for a certain number of years under specific circumstances).
2 Work-Study You don't have to pay the money back, but you do have to work for it, so take into account that'll mean less time for studying. However, research has shown that students who work part-time jobs manage their time better than those who don't!
3 Federal Student Loans You'll have to repay the money with interest. Subsidized loans don't start accruing (accumulating) interest until you leave school, so accept a subsidized loan before an unsubsidized loan.
4 Loans from your State Government or Your College You'll have to repay the money with interest and the terms of the loan might not be as good as those of a federal student loan. Be sure to read all the fine print before you borrow.
5 Private Loans You'll have to repay the money with interest and the terms and conditions of the loan almost certainly will not be as good as those of a federal student loan.

 Resource: Federal Student Aid


How do I review what Federal Loans I have borrowed and who my Federal Loan Servicers are?

Please visit the National Student Loan Data System website and follow the steps below to review your information. The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data.

Repayment Checklist after you Graduate:

  1. Register for an online account on your servicer's website.
  2. Select an affordable repayment plan.
  3. Create a budget.
  4. Enroll in automatic payments (or make loan payments to your servicer).
  5. Know your options if you can't make your payment.
  6. Find out whether you're eligible for loan forgiveness.
  7. Consider loan consolidation.
  8. Deduct student loan interest paid and reduce your federal income taxes.

I borrowed Federal Student Loans, is there anything I can do before I graduate to manage my debt?

You can make sure you review your loan history, have the contact information for your loan servicer, consider making payments on your loans while in school, and commit to budgeting.

Start Budgeting:

  1. Commit to budgeting. Decide to do it and take action.
  2. Differentiate between needs and wants. Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize.
  3. Manage your budget. Track everything and stay organized.
  4. Expect the unexpected. Because Murphy's Law.

General Eligibility for Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

You should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

My family is not considered to be low income. Should I bother applying for financial aid?

Yes. The FAFSA is the application not only for need-based grants such as the Pell and the SEOG, which target low-income students, but also for loans and Federal Work Study assistance, for which students with higher incomes may qualify.

Can I receive more in financial aid than what I owe in tuition?

Yes. The total amount of your financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans, employment) cannot exceed the total cost of attending UMSL for the year. That cost, however, includes both actual university charges and other estimated indirect costs of attending school (supplies, rent for off-campus housing, food and transportation).

When should I file the FAFSA?

You can complete the FAFSA starting October 1 except for 2024-2025 when it will be available by the end of December, 2023. You should file the FAFSA as soon as possible after that to meet the application deadlines for the various scholarships and state grant programs. Incoming freshmen and transfer students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by April 1 and continuing and graduate students by April 1.

*This date has been changed for the 2024-2025 Academic Year. The date will not be the same for the 2025-2026 Academic Year as it will go back to February 1st.

But what if I haven't filed taxes yet?

You should file by the appropriate deadline(s) using estimated tax information if necessary. You can make any necessary corrections to the FAFSA after you and your parents file the income tax return.

What if I haven't been admitted as a student yet?

UMSL will hold your FAFSA results and will process your financial aid after you are admitted as a degree-seeking student.

I've applied for financial aid at several schools and I've received an award letter from each. Why am I eligible for more financial aid, including more loans, at some schools than at others?

Since the cost of attendance is probably different at each of the schools to which you applied, you may be eligible for more aid at some of the schools than at others. Also, each school may have a different pool of scholarship money available to offer.

Payment FAQs

How can I make a payment online?

An electronic payment can be made via the Billing & Payment web page through a checking or savings account or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Students will click the Student Login button and Authorized Payers (parents/others) will click the Authorized Payer Login button.

For help logging in, making a payment or for other student financial information in MyView, click the MyView help link or Guide to eBill link at the top of the page.

Can I pay on my student account with my credit card?

  • Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards are accepted for payment online from any computer on campus or any computer with internet access. A service fee of 2.95% of the amount charged will be added to each payment made by credit card (with a $3.00 minimum service fee).
  • This service charge was set by the third-party credit card processor.

Why is there a 2.95% service charge for credit card payments?

While credit card payments offer a convenient way for students and parents to make payments on the student account, the cost to the University for providing this convenience has grown to approximately $2,000,000 annually. In our current budget situation, the University must examine all the charges we pay. Therefore, the University has decided to require those who use this convenience to cover its cost.

What address should I use if I am paying my bill through my banks’ online bill pay service?

Please use our UMSL Campus address for electronic payments through your bank:

University of Missouri -St. Louis
Student Financial Services
One University Blvd.
St Louis MO 63121-4400

How can I avoid paying the 2.95% credit card payment service charge?

We offer the following forms of payment at no additional charge:

  • Payment in cash is accepted at the Student Financial Service's teller stations.
  • Payment can be made by check or money order in person at the Student Financial Service's office or submitted through the payment drop box located just outside of the Student Financial Services.
  • Electronic check payment can be made from a checking or savings account using your bank's routing number and account number from any computer with internet access.
  • Pin based debit cards are accepted at the Student Financial Service’s office teller stations.

Why can't I use a credit card in-person?

Credit card rules say that service charges must be charged for all payment types for a given payment location. Consequently, if we allowed credit card payments at the cashier's stations, we would also have to add the service charge to check and cash transactions. Therefore, we had to move all credit card payment processing to a third-party credit card processor.

How can I avoid using my credit card to finance my education?

The University of Missouri offers a payment plan. You may also want to investigate a Private Loan. Paying for your education by credit card can become very expensive. The University of Missouri wants to help students use credit wisely.

Will my payment post to my student account right away?

Yes. Payments made online will post to your student account right away. You will also receive immediate confirmation of your payment being made.

Will it be easy for my parents to access the online payment site to make payments on my behalf?

Login to the TouchNet site, then add who you want to be an authorized payer. For help in setting up an authorized payer, visit the instruction page. Your parents/authorized user will receive an email with instructions on how to login to ebill. Once logged in, parents/authorized users will be able to make payments or view your student account and make payments depending on the access that you granted them.

If I make a credit card payment and then later receive a refund back on my credit card, will I be refunded the "service fee" too?

The fee is charged by the processing company and is not subject to refund.

Refund FAQs

Why did I receive a refund?

If you received a refund, you may have an overpayment on your student account or excess financial aid. Check your refund status online in MyView.

When will I receive a refund of my excess financial aid?

If you have previously set up a personal checking or savings account for direct deposit of your refunds, you can expect an electronic transfer to your bank account within 3-5 business days after your account balance goes into credit status. If you have not set up a personal checking or savings account for refund direct deposit, your refund will be mailed to you and could take up to 14 days to arrive.

Before a refund will be issued, your Anticipated Financial Aid must disburse to your student account, pay all of your charges and leave you with a credit balance.

How are refunds issued?

As student accounts go into credit balance, the Student Financial Service office processes refunds by checks through the mail and by electronic transfer to checking or savings accounts for students who have signed up for direct deposit.

If a credit card payment has been made towards your student account in the past 120 days, any refund due to you will be returned to that credit card.

Will a refund be sent to me automatically after I drop a course?

The timeframe to receive a refund may be longer for students who have dropped hours and are receiving financial aid funds that may be reduced based on enrollment requirements, or for students who have dropped hours and no longer have a full time course load. Refunds may also be delayed for students who have had an administrative drop, backdated drop or a complete withdrawal.

Why has my check payment not been refunded yet?

When a payment is received by personal check, the Student Financial Service department will hold any refunds for 14 days to ensure the check has cleared the bank. Once this time period has passed, we will refund the credit balance.

Why was my refund not mailed or direct deposited?

Your refund may not be mailed to you or direct deposited into your bank account if your student account reflects a balance due after your refund has been processed. This applies if you have a balance due in the current term because you have not agreed to allow your aid to pay all charges or if you have a balance due in a term from the prior financial aid year. Refunds to students having a balance due are processed as a paper check that is routed to Student Financial Services, not to the student. As refund checks are received in the Student Financial Service Office, students are emailed to advise that a check is available for pickup.

What if I lose my refund check or the check does not reach me?

A stop payment may be placed on the check two weeks after the issue date. You may contact Student Financial Service's Office if you have not received your check. If the check has not been cashed, a replacement check can be issued. Due to possibilities of lost checks or mail delay, we strongly encourage you to sign up for direct deposit.

I received a refund check in the mail, and soon after I received a bill from the university. Why does that happen?

The university is required to issue the amount of financial aid in excess of university charges to the student within 14 days after the account was credited. We are not allowed to hold financial aid proceeds to pay of future charges without written permission from the student.

Third Party Billing

What is meant by Third Party Billing?

Third Party Billing is a payment agreement between the student, university, and the student's sponsor. The sponsor is an outside source that takes responsibility for all or partial payment of fees, books, etc. A third party sponsor is not an individual, i.e. parent, grandparents, etc., but a company or agency, such as the military, Vocational Rehabilitation, etc.

What is the process I must follow for Third Party Billing?

It is the responsibility of the student to turn in a voucher, letter of credit or approval authorization from their sponsor to Student Financial Services PRIOR to the first minimum payment date of the semester. To avoid billing complications, the voucher or letter of credit or approval authorization must be specific on the amount and kinds of fees that are covered. It must also contain contact information and a billing address.

What if I don’t have my voucher or letter of approval by my minimum payment date?

If Student Financial Services does not receive the voucher or letter of approval before the minimum payment date, the student will be responsible for making the minimum payment or risk cancellation of classes.

What happens if I turn my authorization and/or voucher in after my due date?

Since the authorizations and/or vouchers are due 1 week prior to your payment due date this may result in classes being cancelled. Also any finance charges and late fees being applied to your student account, become the responsibility of the student. Sponsor delay in returning authorization and/or vouchers does not relieve students of late fees or finance charges.

What happens if my sponsor does not pay my fees?

Third Party student accounts are credited for expenses billed to a sponsor. If the sponsor does not pay, the charges are placed back on the student’s account for payment by the student. In some cases, the charges are reversed back months after the end of the term, due to sponsor delays.

If I submit my voucher or letter of approval by my payment due date, do I still need to pay?

If your voucher or letter of approval is to cover only a portion of the total fees due it will be treated in the same manner as Financial Aid when calculating the minimum payment due:

Total charges-Third Party Payment = Net charges.

(The amount listed on the voucher)

Net charges X Minimum % due = Minimum Due

Vouchers must be turned in no later than ONE WEEK PRIOR to the due date in order to be considered in the above calculation.

What if I receive Grants, Scholarships or Awards will my sponsor still pay?

Check with your sponsor for their policies, but in most cases a student cannot profit by a Third Party Payment. Grants, Scholarships and Awards would be applied to your student account first then the difference if applicable would be billed to the sponsor.

Do I have to turn in a new voucher or letter of approval each semester?

Generally, yes, a new voucher or letter of approval is required each semester, but you should check with your sponsor.

What fees does Third Party billing cover?

Coverage by sponsor varies. Any questions about what will be covered should be directed to your sponsor.

What is the procedure to have my bookstore charges billed to my sponsor?

The Bookstore can in some cases already have your authorization and/or voucher on file. In most cases you must notify the Bookstore clerk that your books are being covered by your sponsor and/or give the voucher to the clerk in the Bookstore before the clerk enters anything in the register.

Why am I receiving a bill for my book purchases, my authorization and/or voucher covers books?

If your authorization has been submitted directly to the Bookstore, you will need to contact the Bookstore at (314) 516-5763 for further information.

Should I forward my monthly billing statement to my sponsor?

No, Student Financial Services will bill your sponsor for you after the last add/drop date.

What if my company has a tuition reimbursement policy, but they won’t pay until they see my grades at the end of the semester. Will this qualify for Third Party Billing?

No, sponsors for Third Party Billing must be willing to pay regardless of grades. We also expect payment within 30 days of our invoicing.

What if my company/organization is interested in becoming a Third Party Sponsor?

A company representative needs to contact Student Financial Services at (314) 516-5151 and ask to speak with the Third Party Billing Specialist who will be happy to assist them in becoming a Third Party Sponsor.

What if I still have questions?

You can stop by Student Financial Services at 327 Millennium Student Center or contact us by email at thirdpartybilling@umsl.edu.

Withdrawing from Courses and Financial Aid Impacts

I'm thinking of dropping a class. How will that impact my financial aid?

Depending on whether you withdraw during the normal refund period, withdrawing before or after your financial aid has been credited to your account, and whether dropping the class causes you to change enrollment status (full-time, half-time, etc.) your financial aid may need to be reduced or cancelled. You are considered withdrawn once you are no longer enrolled in any courses for the semester. 

If you withdraw before the start of classes, your financial aid for that term will be cancelled, and you will be responsible for returning any financial aid that was refunded to you for that term. If you withdraw during the semester, Student Financial Services will review your financial aid award—depending on the type of aid disbursed, the number of days you attended, and your institutional charges for the semester, they may be required to reduce or cancel your aid. If the aid is reduced and this results in a balance on your UMSL account, you will be responsible for paying that balance. If you do not officially withdraw but fail to pass any classes, we will attempt to determine whether you participated in the failed class(es), and when you stopped doing so. If we determine that you did not finish your classes, we may need to reduce or cancel your aid. If the aid reduction results in a balance on your UMSL account, you will be responsible for paying that balance. Students who attend past the 60% point of their enrollment period and then withdraw are not subject to aid reduction due to withdrawal. If Student Financial Services is required to reduce your aid due to withdrawal, the reduction will be done within 30 days that we are notified of the withdrawal, and you will be notified in writing of changes to your award.

If you are only dropping course(s) but not withdrawing for the semester we may still have to adjust your aid eligibility for the current semester. Any reduction of aid my cause a balance on your student account. 

A withdrawal will affect your future aid eligibility. Failure to successfully complete all classes for which you initially registered will also result in a failure to meet UMSL satisfactory academic progress standards. This in turn will cause you to lose eligibility for financial aid for future semesters until your academic performance improves (see the Satisfactory Academic Progress page for more information). 

How do I withdraw for the semester?

After enrolling in classes, students who choose to withdraw for the semester are required to complete the necessary procedures to officially withdraw from the University. This includes but is not limited to the withdrawal request. An email notification will be sent to the student when the request has been completed

What happens when I withdraw?

When a student completely withdraws for a semester the Student Financial Aid Office must complete a Return of Title IV (R2T4) with the Department of Education. When a R2T4 is completed for a student it is determined how much of their financial aid they have earned for the semester in which they have withdrawn. We are required to return a portion of funds when a student withdraws before the 60% point in the semester.  Students will be notified what the Financial Aid Office was required to return to the Department of Education within 2-3 weeks of the withdrawal being processed through the Registration Office.

Scholarship FAQs

Proration Information

Why is this change being made?

We package students at 14 credit hours as that is the average number of hours our students take.  When students take fewer than 14 hours, they are receiving proportionately more in scholarships dollars compared to their fees, so an adjustment is needed.  This change allows us to continue to offer larger scholarships to those students who are taking 14+ hours and thus have larger tuition costs.

Will this scholarship change impact a student's other scholarships?         

No, these changes apply to UMSL scholarships only - Curators, Chancellors, Gold, Red, and UMSL.

"Other" scholarships (external grants or scholarships) would not be impacted.

Will this impact a student's federal aid?

No, this change in and of itself makes no change to how federal aid eligibility is calculated. As before the change, the formula for eligibility is COA - EFA - (for need based aid) EFC.

How will students be notified?  

Students were already notified in their offer letter but will also be notified via email multiple times prior to classes starting and during the semester.  Hopefully, advisors will also explain that in order for a student to receive their full scholarship amount, they need to be enrolled in 14 or more hours.

What if a student takes more than 14 hours, will scholarship increase?   


How many years is the scholarship renewable? 

4 years / 8 semesters are the total time a student can receive the award (Fall and Spring only)

What are the renewal requirements?    

In order to match the state renewal requirements for some of their awards like Bright Flight, we have updated our renewal requirements so that a student only needs a 2.5 Cumulative GPA and must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours every Fall and Spring semester.  (Bright flight is just a sample and will not be impacted by this change as it is a state program.)

Why does the DOE only require 12 credit hours full time but UMSL requires 14?       

At UMSL, students are considered full-time at 12 credit hours, but they need to be enrolled in 14 credit hours to receive the full UMSL scholarship amount. Students are still receiving a portion of their scholarship at 12 hours. We package students at 14 credit hours as that is the average number of hours our students take. When students take fewer hours they are receiving proportionately more in scholarship dollars compared to their fees, so an adjustment is needed. This change allows us to continue to offer larger scholarships to those students who are taking 14+ hours and thus have larger tuition costs.

Does this mean a student must complete 28 credits a year for renewal? 

In order to match the state renewal requirements for some of their awards like Bright Flight, we have updated our renewal requirements so that a student only needs a 2.5 Cumulative GPA and must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours every Fall and Spring semester.

Will a student lose their scholarship after their first semester or first year if they take 12 hours a semester?

In order to match the state renewal requirements for some of their awards like Bright Flight, we have updated our renewal requirements so that a student only needs a 2.5 Cumulative GPA and must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours every Fall and Spring semester.

If a student took 12 credit hours in Fall & 14 in Spring what would happen to their scholarship?     

As long as the student is meeting the renewal criteria, they could receive the 12-hour amount one semester and the 14 hours amount the next without any appeal or request. The amount would update automatically.

If a student drops from full time this semester will the student be eligible for the full-time amount in the next?     

The renewal criteria require a total of 12 credit hours be completed every Fall and Spring. This would mean that it could be possible for a student to drop a class a keep the scholarship, but a student would be to be careful as to the total number of hours dropped.

If a student’s total credit hours drop from 14 to 12 or below after the semester starts, will their scholarship be prorated? Full removal?            

Yes, the amount will be prorated as long as the number of total hours remains at least 12.  Below 12 credit hours and the scholarship may be removed.

Will it be adjusted if a student drops after 100% reassessment?

Yes, adjustments will be made any time during the reassessment period for the course (the period during which a student receives a full or partial refund of fees when dropping the course, which is typically the first 8 weeks of a 16-week course and the first 30 days of an 8-week session).  In addition, a student would not be refunded the scholarship in the event their fees were reduced in some other manner such as an appeal of fees.

Will a student be grandfathered in if they have already received the scholarship in previous semesters?

Students will not be grandfathered.  The following scholarships are included in this change: Curators, Chancellors, Gold, Red and UMSL.  For students with Curators and Chancellors awards from the past, they will also be impacted.  Students with the older Curators and Chancellors awards will enjoy the lower renewal requirements. 

(In order to match the state renewal requirements for some of their awards like Bright Flight, we have updated our renewal requirements so that a student only needs a 2.5 Cumulative GPA and must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours be completed every Fall and Spring.)

What if a program does not offer enough credit hours in a semester to allow a student to register for 14 hours?             

Students taking at least 12 hours would receive the lower amount of the scholarship, but their tuition would also be less since they are enrolled in less hours.

What about students who are not allowed to take more than 12 hours?  (Probation etc.)

Students would still receive the lower amount of the scholarship, but their tuition would also be less since they are enrolled in less hours.

Disability students who cannot take more than 12 hours? Any exceptions?              

Students would receive the lower amount of the scholarship, but their tuition would also be less since they are enrolled in less hours.

Do equivalency hours count toward 14?


If a student has a consortium agreement, does that count towards their 14 hours here?      

No, the 14 hours needs to be taken at UMSL.

What if a student takes a course not toward their program? Will it count?              

Yes, just as it does now.

Scholarship Appeal Information 

Can a student appeal the scholarship?   

Scholarship appeals will be accepted, as always, but not being in 14 hours by itself would not qualify to have the appeal approved.

If a student was cancelled for non-payment, would they be eligible to receive the scholarship the following semester?

A student would lose their scholarship, and would need to file an appeal to possibly have it reinstated.

What if the student stays in the course and fails it rather than dropping the course to avoid either a scholarship reduction or losing the scholarship, how will this impact the student's ability to get the scholarship in the future?

As before, this would not count as course completion and would also negatively impact a student’s GPA.

What if a student cannot afford an extra course even with the scholarship?             

Contact Student Financial Services and we can discuss other financing and payment options.

Would a student still lose eligibility if they take a semester off?  

Yes, just like they would now.

Can summer enrollment count toward renewal credits?

Renewal requirements are based on Fall and Spring only. Summer does not count towards renewal hours.

Veterans and Active Duty Military Information

Student Financial Assistance welcomes all veterans, active duty military and/or eligible family members to contact our office regarding your financial aid needs. Our staff is available to answer financial aid inquiries and assist with application processes for federal, state and institutional funding. We receive annual and regular training from associations such as the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA), Missouri Association of Student Financial Aid Personnel (MASFAP), Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development (MDHEWD), and Federal Student Aid (FSA) in order to provide the best possible service regarding student loan counseling and other funding available under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Our highly qualified financial aid coordinators can assist you with information about grants, institutional scholarships, or private and federal loan programs. They will work with you to understand all Title IV financial aid options, the differences between private and federal student loans, and answer any additional questions you may have regarding your specific circumstances. All students are assigned a qualified and knowledgeable financial aid coordinator based on the first letter of your last name. 

Financial Aid Resources

  • We recommend that you complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal, state and institutional aid programs.
  • To learn more about our institutional scholarships please visit our Scholarship and Grants webpage.
  • To learn more about financial aid exclusive to service members, military veterans and eligible family members, please contact our Veterans Center.
  • Information on our Cohort Default Rate (CDR) is available on the Loan Data section of our Loans webpage.

Our staff members would like to thank you for your service!