About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
BSN Frequently Asked Questions
RN to BSN Program
BSN Frequently Asked Questions
Post Graduate Certificate Program
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Nursing Learning Resource and Simulation Center Campaign
Julie Bertram, PhD, RN
308 Seton Hall
Assistant Professor of Nursing
308 Seton Hall
College of Nursing, South Campus
Julie Bertram joined the College of Nursing faculty in 2017, bringing with her expertise in the mental health outcomes of children and adolescents in foster care. Dr. Bertram has an extensive record of multidisciplinary collaboration and publication in high-impact nursing journals. Her research focuses on the role of psychiatric nursing within the child welfare and foster care system.
- BS, Nursing, St. Louis University School of Nursing, St. Louis, MO
- MS, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, St Louis University School of Nursing, St. Louis, MO
- PhD, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Missouri, St. Louis, MO
- Intramural Research Funds: "How do nursing faculty experience the use of Tegrity learning tools as a means of enhancing classroom learning?" St. Louis University. Published
- Intramural Research Funds: Dissertation and Travel Fellowship Award University Of Missouri St. Louis.
- Intramural Research Funds: NLN Writing Retreat 2017, St. Louis University
- McMillen, J. C., Narendorf, S. C., Robinson, D., Havlicek, J., Fedoravicius, N., Bertram, J., & McNelly, D. (2015). Development and piloting of a treatment foster care program for older youth with psychiatric problems. Child and adolescent psychiatry and mental health, 9(1).
- Bertram, J. (2014). Obsessive -Compulsive Disorder. In J. Rhoads & P. Murphy (Eds.), Clinical Consult to Psychiatric Nursing for Advanced Practice. (Chapter 13). New York, NY: Springer.
- Freed, P.E., Bertram, J.E ., & McLaughlin, D.E. (2014, April). Using Lecture Capture: A Qualitative Study of Nursing Faculty's Experience. Nurse Education Today, 34(4), 498-602 doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2013.06.021. Epub 2013 Jul 12.
- Bertram, J., Narendorf, S.C., & McMillen, J.C. (2013, December). Pioneering the Psychiatric Nurse Role in Foster Care. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 27(6), 285-292 doi:10.1016/japnu.2013.09.003
- Narendorf, S.C., Bertram, J., & McMillen, J.C. (2011). Diagnosis and medication overload? A Nurse Review of the Psychiatric Histories of Older Youth in Treatment Foster Care. Child Welfare, 90(3), 27-43.
- Bertram, J. E., ISPN Annual Conference, "Preliminary Results of a Study on Decision-Making in the Foster Care System," ISPN, Minneapolis Minnesota. (April 15, 2016). Presenter and Author.
- Bertram, J. E., Shell, L.., Schepp, K.., ISPN Annual Conference, "On the Care of Individuals with Schizophrenia and their Families: An Integrated Review and Discussion," ISPN, Minneapolis Minnesota. (April 15, 2016). Lead Presenter and First Author.
- Bertram, J. E., Pat, K. to Board of Directors Meeting, "Living Our Mission and Educational Presentation," Mary Ryder Home, St. Louis MIssouri. (May 6, 2015). Lead Presenter and Author.
- Bertram, J., Krampe, J., Banharak, S., Hawthome, K., Artman, D., Krieger, M., Schneider, J. (March 24-March 28, 2015). Evidence of Dance -Based Therapy Effect on Cognitive and Psychological Function in Older Adults. Poster Presentation. 2015 ISPN Psychopharmacology Institute and Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington. Presenter and Author.
- Narendorf, S., Bertram, J. E., BakosBlock, C. (2015). Systematic review of shared decision-making interventions for individuals with mental health concerns. In 37th Annual Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making. Lead Presenter and Second Author. (Abstract published).
- Bertram, J. (2014, July 10). Mental Well-being and Decision Making in the Foster Care System. Paper Presentation at 1st Annual Global Well-Being Conference: Global Youth: Understanding Challenges, Identifying Solutions, Offering Hope! Lancaster, PA. Presenter and Author.
- Bertram, J. (2014, March 28). Decision Making in Foster Care. Paper Presentation at the International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses (ISPN) Annual Conference, Greenville SC. Presenter and Author.
- Krampe, J., Krieger, M., Hawthorne, K., Artman, D., Bertram, J., Banharak, S., & Schneider, J. (2014, March 28-30). Evidence of Dance-Based Therapy Effect on Physical, Cognitive, and Psychological Function in Older Adults. Poster Presentation at the 38th Annual Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, St. Louis MO. Author only.
- Bertram, J., Narendorf, S.C., & McMillen, J.C. (2013, April 18). Pioneering the Nurse Role in Foster Care. Paper presentation at the ISPN Annual Conference, San Antonio TX. Presenter and Author.
Other Scholarly Activities
- F.A. Davis Company, Book Chapter Reviewer, Chapter 17 Somatic Symptom and Dissociative Disorders
- International Society of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurses, Education Committee; Review of White Papers
- International Society of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurses, Poster Reviewer
Honors and Awards
- Newslink Article: Solomon, N. (2013). To Improve Foster Care, Add a Psychiatric Nurse to Treatment Team. Nurses Bring Fresh Perspective to Caring for Troubled Teens, Slue Researcher Finds. Retrieved at http://www.slu.edu/rel-news-psychiatric-nurse-123.
- Finalist: Nurse of the Year, March of Dimes, Behavioral Health - Mental Health and Addictive Services
- 1st Place Best Scholarship Poster Award ISPN Psychopharmacology and Annual Conference
- Dissertation and Travel Fellowship Award University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Newslink Article: Solomon, N. (2013). To Improve Foster Care, Add a Psychiatric
- Nurse to Treatment Team. Nurses Bring Fresh Perspective to Caring for Troubled Teens, SLU Researcher Finds. Retrieved at http://www.slu.edu/rel-news-psychiatric-nurse-123
- Intramural Research Award Saint Louis University. Research published.
- Saint Louis University, 5 Year Service Award
- Saint Louis University, SLUSparks
- St. Anthony’s Medical Center, 15 Year Service Award
- St. Anthony’s Medical Center, 10 Year Service Award
- St. Anthony’s Medical Center, 5 Year Service Award
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society
- International Society of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurses, Member
- American Nurses Association, Member
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association, Member