About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the College
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Wilma J Calvert, PhD, MPE, RN
222 Nursing Administration Building
222 Nursing Administration Building
College of Nursing, South Campus
- BSN - Oral Roberts University
- MS - University of Oklahoma
- PhD - University of Missouri-St. Louis
- MPE - Washington University
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship - National Institute on Drug Abuse Training Program in Drug Abuse, Comorbidity, Prevention, and Biostatistics, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
- The use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs in vulnerable populations
- Health promotion behaviors in low-income fathers
- The role of religion and spirituality in health promotion and risky behaviors in vulnerable populations
- Risk and protective factors for adolescent participation in health compromising behaviors
- Community-based participatory research
- Student Nurses’ Perceptions of Service-Learning Activities – PI, Missouri Campus Compact, $250, 2012
- Mental Health and Religious Beliefs in Black Fathers – PI, University of Missouri-St. Lousi Small Grants, $1000, 2010
- Health Promotion Practices in Black Noncustodial Fathers – PI, University of Missouri Research Board, $39001, 2010
- A University/Community Partnership to Reduce Methamphetamine Use in Jefferson County – Civilian Project Co-Director, $250,000, 2010-2014
- A Comparison of Early Alcohol Use and Participation in Health-Compromising Behaviors in Offspring of Alcohol Dependent and Unaffected Fathers - PI, University of Missouri-St. Louis Research Award, $8082, 2006
- Martinez, R., Taylor, M. J., Calvert, W. J., HHirsch, J. L. (in press). Santeria as a healing tradition: Toward an understanding of culturally responsive healing practices. In R. A. R. Gurung (Ed.), Multicultural approaches to health and wellness. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Calvert, W. J., & Isaac-Savage, E. P. (in press). Motivators to engage in health promotion activities by low-income Black fathers. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal.
- Calvert, W. J., Allen, K. R., & Brockman-Jankowski, S. (in press). Interim evaluation of a university-community collaboration to address methamphetamine use in a rural Missouri
- Calvert, W. J., & Isaac-Savage, E. P. (2013). Motivators and barriers to participating in health promotion behaviors in Black men. Western Journal of Nursing Research. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0193945913480429 community. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action.
- Calvert, W. J., Isaac, E. P., & Johnson, S. (2012). Health-related quality of life and health-seeking behaviors in Black men. Health and Social Work, 37 (1), 19-27. doi: 10.1093/hsw/hls001
- Calvert, W. J., Bucholz, K. K., & Steger-May, K. (2010). Early drinking and its association with adolescents’ participation in health compromising behaviors. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 16, 239-251.
- Calvert, W. J., & Bucholz, K. K. (2008). Adolescent risky behaviors and alcohol use. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 30 (1), 147-148.
- Isaac-Savage, E. P., & Calvert, W. J. (2010). African American males’ motivations for participation in health education activities. In J. Dirkx (Ed.), Proceedings of the Midwest Research-to-Practice Conference. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Calvert, W. J. (2002). Neighborhood disorder, individual protective factors and the risk of adolescent delinquency. The Association of Black Nursing Journal, 13, 127-135.
- Calvert, W. J. (1999). Integrated literature review on effects of exposure to violence upon adolescents. The Association of Black Nursing Journal, 10, 84-96.
- Calvert, W. J. & Isaac-Savage, P. (2013). Health Promotion Practices in Black Men in the United States. Poster session presented at the meeting of Midwest Nursing Research Society, Chicago, IL
- Calvert, W. J. & Isaac-Savage, P. (2013). I Want to be Healthy for Me. A Qualitative Exploration of Motivators to Participating in Health-Seeking Behaviors. Paper session presented at the meeting of the Midwest Nursing Research Society, Chicago, IL
- Isaac-Savage, E. P. & Calvert, W. J. (2012). Exploring Health and Health Education Participation of African American Fathers. Paper session presented at the meeting of the Adult Education Research, Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY
- Calvert, W. J. & Isaac-Savage, P. (2011). Mental Health and Religious Beliefs in Black Fathers. Paper session presented at the meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, Milwaukee, WI
- Calvert, W. J. & Isaac-Savage, P. (2011). Mental Health in Black Fathers. Poster session presented at the meeting of the Midwest Nursing Research Society, Columbus, OH
Other Scholarly Activites
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Violence and Injury Prevention, George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University in St. Louis
- Adjunct Faculty, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
- External Scientist for the Alcohol Research Training Summer School at Washington University in St. Louis
Honors and Awards
- Missouri Award for Outstanding Community and Campus Collaboration, Campus Compact Heartland Conference, 2012
- Chancellor’s Report to the Community, 2011
- Citation Award Midwest Nursing Research Society for the abstract “Adolescent Risky Behaviors and Alcohol Use,” Milwaukee, WI, 2006
- Career Enhancement Travel Award, Bridging Science and Culture to Improve Drug Abuse Research in Minority Communities, National Institute on Drug Abuse’s Health Disparities Conference, National Institute of Drug Abuse, Atlanta, GA, 2005
- Merit/Junior Investigator Award, National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Research Society on Alcoholism, Santa Barbara, CA, 2005
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Health Promoting Behaviors Across the Lifespan Research Section, Co-Chair-Elect
- Sigma Theta Tau Internation, Honor Society of Nursing
- American Public Health Association
- Abstract Reviewer for Community-Based Public health Caucus, 2012, 2013
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion