Transferring to UMSL | UMSL

Common Searches

Transferring to UMSL

Students transferring from another college/university to UMSL should review the following steps to maximize opportunities for federal, state, and institutional aid programs.

  1. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than February 1 preceding the start of the academic year.  Students can still apply after February 1, but some financial resources will not be available to students who apply after this date. UMSL's school code is 002519
  2. Admission to the university is required to receive federal financial aid. If you have not already applied, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to apply online or to print an application.
  3. Once you have been admitted as a degree-seeking student and we have received your FAFSA information, we will contact you at your UMSL email address. If additional information is required to process your FAFSA, you will want to submit that as soon as possible. We will not package your financial aid until we have received the required information. If no additional information is required, we will send you an award letter to your mailing address on record in MyView, and we will contact you at your UMSL email address to let you know your award package is ready. Students starting at UMSL in the Fall semester will see their award packages after February 1st. Students transferring in the Spring semester will see their award packages after November 1.
  4. Students who received state-sponsored assistance (e.g., Bright Flight Scholarship, Access Missouri Grant, etc.) should contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education at 1-800-473-6757 and let them know you are transferring. The new FAFSA deadline for State funding is February 1st.
  5. Undergraduate students seeking a first bachelor's degree will automatically be considered for some transfer scholarships. They are also encouraged to apply for additional transfer scholarships through the Online Scholarship Application. Students transferring in the Fall Semester must be admitted to the University and submit their scholarship application by April 1, while students transferring in the Spring Semester must be admitted to the University and complete their online scholarship application by November 1. Visit the Transfer Services web site for more information about transfer student scholarships.
  6. Students who are not awarded a scholarship when they are admitted are encouraged to apply annually as a continuing student.  The University has numerous scholarships that are not available to new students, and donors are creating new scholarships every year. Continuing student scholarship applications are due April 1 preceding the start of the academic year. Many academic departments on campus also offer their own scholarships. Students are encouraged to check with their departments about the availability of scholarships and the application process for their departments.
  7. Financial aid is not transferable. Your eligibility may vary from school to school depending on the cost of education at each school, the number of credits transferred to the new school, etc. Your loan eligibility is affected by your grade level and the cost of attendance. Any changes to your grade level or differences in cost of attendance between UMSL and your previous institution will affect your loan eligibility at UMSL. Perkins and SEOG funding varies at each institution, and each school may have different policies in awarding the funds. A Perkins or SEOG award at another school may not be automatically renewed at UMSL.
  8. If you received loans at another school prior to transferring to UMSL, you are encouraged to notify your previous institution, and especially the financial aid office, of your transfer. If you took out loans other than Direct Stafford Loans, you are encouraged to contact the lender(s) of the loan(s) as well. If you need verification that you are enrolled at UMSL, please complete the Enrollment Verification Letter Request (pdf) and return it to the Office of the Registrar.