International Students | UMSL

Common Searches

International Students

In order to be considered for federal student aid you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen who is enrolled as a degree-seeking student.

Generally, you are an eligible non-citizen if you are:

  1. A permanent resident of the U.S. and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Cart (I-151 or I-551)
  2. A conditional permanent resident (I-151C)
  3. Residing in the U.S. with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any of the following designations: "Refugee" "Asylum Granted" "Indefinite Parole" "Humanitarian Parole" or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant"

If you are neither a citizen, nor an eligible non-citizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid.  You may, however, apply for an alternative student loan through a U.S. lender.  These loans are generally credit-based and require a co-signer or co-applicant who is a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.  Please contact Student Financial Aid for more information.

For Scholarship information, Please contact the Center for International Studies.

In general International Students are not eligible for scholarships. There are a select few scholarships for which International Students may apply and they can do so by submitting the online scholarship application.  Students should also contact the departments of their majors to learn about opportunities there.