Dr. Sun's experience as an oncology research nurse was the foundation for her research interest in clinical research, patient-centered care, and self-management for cancer patients. Dr. Sun's research has focused on cancer survivorship and cancer treatment-related lymphedema. Her published manuscripts and conference papers include the self-reported symptoms, physical function impairment associated with breast cancer-related lymphedema (BCRL), as well as rehabilitation issues among breast cancer survivors in general. Her recently-completed study examined the influence of breast cancer treatment-related lymphedema on women returning to work. She would like to continue research on developing a better model of clinical rehabilitation for survivors with lymphedema, that promotes individualized support, self-management, and quality of life.
- Sun, Y., Shigaki, C.L, Armer, J.M. (2020). Return-to-work and breast cancer survivorship care. Current Breast Cancer Rep, 12, 202-207 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12609-020-00371-2
- Sun, Y. (Dec, 2020) Abridge of the breast cancer related lymphedema and women’s return-to-work. British Lymphedema Society News & Views, 119, 25-27. https://www.thebls.com/documents-library/news-views-issue-119
Dorit Tidhar, Jane M. Armer, Allison Anbari, Yuanlu Sun, Michael Bernas, Joseph L. Feldman, Janice N. Cormier (2020). Clinical evaluation of lymphedema. In: Ming-Huei Cheng (eds). Principles and Practice of Lymphedema Surgery. Elsevier., In press
Sun, Y., Shigaki, C. L., Armer, J. M. (2020). The Influence of Breast Cancer-related Lymphedema on Women’s Return-to-Work. Women’s health, 16, 1-16. doi: 10.1177/1745506520905720
Sun, Y., & Armer, J. M. (2019). A nurse's twenty-four-year journey with breast cancer-related lymphedema. Work, 63(1), 21-31. doi:10.3233/wor-192904
Armer, J. M., Ballman, K., McCall, L., Armer, N. C., Sun, Y., Udmuangpia, T., . . . Boughey, M. D. (2019). Lymphedema symptoms and limb measurement changes in breast cancer survivors treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and axillary dissection: results of American College of Surgeons Oncology Group (ACOSOG) Z1071 (Alliance) substudy. Supportive Care in Cancer, 1-9. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4334-7
Sun, Y., Shigaki, C. L., Armer, J. M. (2017). Return to Work among Breast Cancer Survivors: A Literature Review. Supportive Care in Cancer, 25(3), 709-718. doi: 10.1007/s00520-016-3446-1
Armer, J. M., Feldman, J. L., Ostby, P., Chance-Heltzler, J., Sun, Y., Armer, N. C., & Shih, T. (2017). Lymphedema within the Healthcare System. In: Lee BB., Rockson S., Bergan J. (eds) Lymphedema: a concise compendium of theory and practice. Springer, Cham. pp 503-523. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-52423-8_40
Armer, J. M., Feldman, J. L., Ostby, P., Thrift, K. M., Lasinski, B. B., Beck, M. S., Rodrick, J. R., Norton, S., Sun, Y., Udmuangpia, T., Armer, N. C. & Stewart, B. R (2016). Simplifying Evidence-based Management of Breast Cancer-related Lymphedema. Expert Review of Quality of Life in Cancer Care, 1(5), 389-402
- Xue, C., Yu, Q., Pan, J.-j., Sun, Y., & Zhang, L. (2012). A phase II study of sorafenib in combination with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil in the treatment of recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 30(15_suppl), 5538-5538. doi:10.1200/jco.2012.30.15_suppl.5538
Published conference proceedings
- Anderson, E., Anbari, A., Sun, Y., Armer, J. (2021) Breast cancer-related lymphedema influences on the work experiences and quality of life of Hispanic/Latina survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum, 48(2), 21-21
- Anbari, A., Sun, Y., McCaffery, S. Armer, J. (2021) Breast cancer-related lymphedema and rural survivor’s return to work. Oncology Nursing Forum, 48(2), 39-40
- Sekyere, M., Armer, J., Sun, Y., Anderson, E., Anbari, A. (Jun 2019). Impact of Breast Cancer-related Lymphedema on Survivors’ Return to Work and Quality of Life in Ghana. Poster presentation at 9th International Lymphoedema Framework Conference. Chicago, IL.