Laura Kuensting, DNP, RN
Associate Teaching Professor, DNP Program Director, and Emphasis Area Coordinator Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Clinical Specialty
College of Nursing, South Campus
Dr. Laura Kuensting joined the College of Nursing faculty in 2016 as the MSN/DNP program Director. Dr. Kuensting taught for over five years at the University of Missouri-Columbia, Sinclair School of Nursing where she was the coordinator of the pediatric nurse practitioner program. She has been a practicing pediatric emergency department advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) in St. Louis for over 25 years and a pediatric nurse for over 30 years. In addition to teaching, she continues to practice in the Mercy Children’s Hospital-St. Louis emergency department. In 2015, Dr. Kuensting was the Director of the Institute for Emergency Nurses Advanced Practice (Emergency Nurses Association). Currently, she is the President of the St. Louis Chapter of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, an active member in the St. Louis Chapter of the Emergency Nurses Association, and an active member of the St. Louis Nurses in Advanced Practice group.
- Saint Louis University: Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Saint Louis University: Post-Master’s Certificate - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP)
- Saint Louis University: Master of Science in Nursing Research (MSNR)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist - Nursing of Children (PCNS)
- Saint Louis University:Bachelor of Arts – Psychology, Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Pediatric difficult venous access
- Pediatric hydration therapies
- Virtual learning
- Evaluating Immersive Virtual Learning in Nursing Education Programs
- Kuensting, L.L.(2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid Infusion to intravenous fluid infusion in children. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 39, 86-91.
- Weir, M.L., Delaney, M., Drewry, T., Koss, K., Kuensting, L.L., & Bokholdt, M.L. (Eds.). (2013). Certified Pediatric Emergency Nurse CPEN Review Manual. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Kuensting, L.L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid in children. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 37, 346-349. doi:10.1016/j.jen.2010.05.005
- Kuensting, L.L. (2010). Treatment of intravenous infiltration in a neonate. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 24, 184-188.
- Kuensting, L.L., DeBoer, S., Holleran, R., Shultz, B.L., Steinmann, R.A.,& Venella, J. (2009). Difficult venous access in children: taking control. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 35(5), 419-424.
- Turabelidze, G., Tryon, T., Hamm, R., Sample, T.G., Cooperstock, M., Hadlock,K., Wiley, J.,& Kuensting, L.L. (2007) Decontamination and medical management in Missouri Pediatric Preparedness: A Resource for Pediatricians and Hospitals, 17-22.
- Kuensting, L.L. (2007). Water Park Injuries A Literature Review. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 29(2), 151-157.
- Kuensting, L. L. (2003). A 15 year old with blurred vision, nausea, back pain, and abdominal pain. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 29(2), 171-3.
- Cole, F.L., Kuensting, L. L., MacLean, S., Abel, C., Mickanin, J., Brueske, P., Wilson, M.E., & Rehwaldt, M. (2002) Advanced practice nurses in emergency care settings: A demographic profile. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 28(5), 414-19.
- Kuensting, L. (2000). Should childhood immunizations be given when children have a pediatric visit to the emergency department? American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 25(3), 118.
- Kuensting, L. (1997). Social, cultural, and religious influences on child health promotion. In D.L. Wong (Ed.), Essentials of Pediatric Nursing, pp. 31-59. St. Louis: C.V. Mosby.
- Kuensting, L., & Sanders, G. (1995). Cultural considerations. In Emergency Nurses Association (Ed.), Making the Right Decision: A Triage Curriculum, pp. 69 -78. Park Ridge, IL.
- Kuensting, L. (1995). The trauma patient. In Emergency Nurses Association (Ed.), Making the Right Decision: A Triage Curriculum, pp. 101 - 109. Park Ridge, IL.
- Kuensting, L. (1995). Triaging out children from an emergency department by a triage nurse: Where do they go? Journal of Emergency Nursing, 21(2), 102 - 108.
- Numerous national and international presentations
Other Scholarly Activites
- Certification board exam item writer for ANCC, PNCB, BCEN and AANP
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Education (nominated): University of Missouri-Columbia, 2016 (UM-C)
- Alumni Merit Award: Saint Louis University (SLU), 2015
- Excellence in Teaching with Technology (nominated): UM-C, 2014
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award (nominated): SLU, 2011
- Employee of the Month: St. John’s Mercy Medical Center, 1996
- St. Louis Nurses in Advanced Practice (SNAP)
- American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners (AAENP)
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS)
- Association of Missouri Nurse Practitioners (AMNP)
- Association for Vascular Access (AVA), 2013-2014
- St. Louis Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (stlPNP)
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners
- Emergency Nurses Association (ENA)
- Society of Pediatric Nurses (SPN), 1993-1998
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS), 1993-1994