Review the UMSL admission requirements and apply online
- The application fee is waived for veterans & service members. View the UMSL Veteran Application guide that shows how to apply without paying the fee.
- Check in-state tuition rate qualifications for military-connected students.
- Request official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning in which you have attended previously.
- Send transcripts to: Office of Admissions, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 1 University Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63121-4400.
- For more information about transferring to UMSL, visit the Admissions for Transfer Students website or contact this office at (314) 516-5162.
NOTE for currently serving applicants: UMSL is a proud signer of the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (the DoD MOU). If you intend to use a DoD education benefit (Federal or State Tuition Assistance) you must start this process with your unit Educational Service Officer (ESO) or your military counselor.
Service-specific information on TA applications and processes can be found at:
- Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans can request their transcripts through the Joint Services Transcript system (JST).
- Air Force: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans can request their transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).
Review eligibility for all GI Bill Chapters. If you qualify for both Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bills, please call our office BEFORE applying for benefits online. If you qualify for the Missouri Returning Heroes Education Act, you may receive the maximum benefit with the Montgomery, Chapter 30, GI Bill.
- After submission, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail within 3-4 weeks.
- Bring a copy of your COE and DD-214 (member 4 copy) to the Veterans Center, 211 Clark Hall, for certificate verification.
Congratulations! You're once step closer to earning your degree at UMSL!
- This process must be completed before you can register for classes.
- Log into your Triton Portal (tutorial) to confirm your enrollment and pay the $50 confirmation fee.
- Transfer students can defer this fee to their student account and it will be covered by GI BIll. Select the "defer payment to student account" option on the payment page.
- First-year students will need to pay the fee and receive reimbursement once the GI Bill is applied to your student account. If this creates a financial hardship, call the New Student Programs office at (314) 516-5291 to have it manually deferred to your student account.
- Orientation is a requirement for all newly, admitted, degree-seeking, undergraduate students. It must be completed prior to your first day of classes. Learn more about orientation and see upcoming dates.
Contact your academic advising office to schedule an appointment. View contact info.
- At your advising appointment, inform your advisor that you are using VA benefits and that you need a VEV note added to your file. IMPORTANT: A VEV must be added EACH semester in which you wish to receive benefits. Be sure to notify the advisor you are using benefits.
- The Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) application can be completed online using our Federal School Code: 002519
- For more information please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (314) 516-5526 or visit Student Financial Aid.
View additional veteran and service member specific scholarships
As an UMSL student, you have access to wealth of resources and support services available to ensure that you have a successful student experience! Check out a few to get you started below:
- Health, Counseling, and Disability Access Services is a one-stop shop for many of medical and mental health needs. They also offer individualized, appropriate accommodations and services to ensure full and equal participation in all education opportunities.
- Student Advocacy and Care provides students with interventions, education, and access to resources which empower them to address barriers relative to academic progress and personal success.
- Student Academic Support Services (SASS) Student Enrichment and Achievement, the University Tutoring Center, Multicultural Student Services, Pre collegiate Student Services, and UMSL’s TRIO Student Support Services are all a part of SASS. These departments provide students with workshops, success coaches, learning tools and more!