Requesting to Use VA Benefits at UMSL
Students must apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to use their education benefit. To learn more about VA Benefits, visit our GI Bill Benefits page. The VA will process the student's application within 30-60 days. Once the application has been approved or denied, the student will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) via mail. After receiving a COE, students will request to use their VA Benefits at UMSL by completing a request for certification, see steps below.
VA Certification Process
After applying for VA benefits and receiving your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), please submit the following forms to the UMSL Vet Center to use VA benefits at UMSL:
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - submit prior to your first semester at UMSL
- DD-214 member copy (if applicable) - submit prior to first semester at UMSL
- DD-214 submission required only if using one of the following benefits: Post 9/11 GI Bill® Chapter 33 - Veteran, MGIB Chapter 30, MGIB-SR Chapter 1606)
- Request for Certification – submit prior to each semester
- TRANSFER STUDENTS ONLY - You must update your benefits at VA.gov and elect University of Missouri St. Louis as your place of training. This is equivalent to VA Form 22-1995.