Enlisting the Support of UMSL Faculty and Staff
Creating a supportive environment for military-connected students starts with YOU
Military-connected students are a valued and vital component of our UMSL campus community. We recognize and honor the sacrifices they have made and continue to make and value their life experiences as they broaden the diversity of our student body.
Creating a supportive environment for student veterans on campus begins with faculty and staff who are educated about military cultural competency. As faculty and staff members, you are oftentimes the most consistent points of contact for our student Veterans; this puts you in the best position to notice if a Veteran is facing challenges or needs assistance on campus.
Learning about the experiences and strengths of military-connected students along with the challenges they face allow faculty and staff to make adaptations in the classroom and on-campus to help these students succeed.
Are you ready to support veterans, current service members and their families on our campus? See resources and upcoming training opportunities below.
Green Zone Training
Green Zone Training is a program for UMSL faculty and staff members designed to help develop a supportive campus community for veterans, current service members, and their families.
UMSL faculty and staff will gain tools to enhance the overall college experience for military-connected students so they may better guide and assist these students toward degree completion and onto a successful future. This is achieved by providing an encouraging, structured environment and gaining greater knowledge about campus and community resources focused on veteran student success.
Next training date to be announced, registration details to follow.
Green Zone Training Aims to Equip UMSL Faculty and Staff with:
- An understanding of the basics of military structure, culture, and jargon
- Insights into the military to college transition issues faced by veterans
- information about the GI Bill educational program concepts and procedures
- Knowledge of services and resources available to military-connected students at UMSL
- Suggestions to make your services, programs, and interactions more military-friendly
- After training has been completed, faculty and staff will receive a Green Zone medal sticker (pictured right) for their office and gain access to a CANVAS group for additional resources.
Other Resources and Information
Student Veteran Issues - HigherEd Live© recorded Live Stream
Support for Student Parents - Video from Make the Connection©
Unique Challenges for Student Veterans - Video from Make the Connection©
Student Veterans Transitioning from Military to Higher Education - Video from the Veterans Education Project