Credit may be allowed for service training programs conducted by the various Armed Forces branches. The American Council of Education’s recommendations in A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services generally serve as a basis for granting such credit.

UMSL encourages current service members or military veterans to request transfer of their military educational experiences or coursework where that coursework has been reviewed by the American Council of Education (ACE). Service members or veterans must submit their Joint Services Transcript (JST), Community College of the Air Force Transcript (CCAF), Sailor-Marine ACE Registry Transcript (SMART), or Army/ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS) transcript to receive consideration for transfer credit. 

How to Submit Military Transcripts to UMSL

To have military educational credit evaluated, the University must receive an official military transcript. 

Please send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions at this address: 

Office of Admissions
University of Missouri-St. Louis
1 University Blvd.
St. Louis, MO

Like all transfer credit reviews, a preliminary review of credit will be conducted by a transfer credit specialist. Individual courses may be sent to the academic departments for further evaluation by appropriate faculty. If an enrolled veteran student believes that his/her education experiences warrant academic credit but that experience has not been reviewed by the ACE, that student can petition the appropriate department chair for credit. No transfer credit will be awarded for military basic training.

Credit will also be granted for most Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) education programs, including CLEP and DTSS tests. In accordance with UMSL advanced standing policies, veterans should submit appropriate verification documents to the Office of Admissions before their first semester at UMSL.

For more information regarding credit transfer for service training program , please contact UMSL Veterans Center at 314-516-5705 or

JST Brochure