We are so pleased that you have chosen the University of Missouri-St. Louis as the institution to share your talent, innovation and successes.
University of Missouri–St. Louis Tritons build a vibrant and diverse community that we are all proud of. From our outstanding students to our dedicated faculty and staff, we are a community of scholars who are committed to excellence.
Congratulations on accepting your new employment opportunity at UMSL!
Items outlined on this page should be completed prior to your first day and during your first week.
- Complete the pre-boarding process by following the link in your email to myHR. If an email is not received, check your spam folder. Once in myHR it will prompt you to set up a password. This username and password will be used as your single sign on for university systems. You will need to log into myHR for many reasons throughout your employment, including reporting absences, enrolling for benefits, and updating your personal information. For assistance, visit the myHR training website.
- Visit UMSL Human Resources and submit I-9 verification documents. Submitting your documents prior to your first day will allow us to finalize your hire in the system and get more of your equipment set up before you begin working.
- Anticipate an email from UMSL HR with information about New Employee Orientation.
- Review your employment benefits.
- Learn more about the benefits that UM System has to offer.
- Create a list of questions that you have for your manager, coworkers, and direct reports about your new job.
- Understand our core values. At the University of Missouri-St. Louis our code of conduct is designed to support our mission, vision, values and transform lives. Take the time to understand the mission of UMSL has been built upon and how these values have enabled us to do great things for our students, and the community.
Welcome to the Triton family!
New benefit-eligible staff members are asked to attend New Employee Orientation (NEO). The Human Resources team reaches out to new employees with information about orientation. NEO runs from 9-10 am at the UMSL Recreation and Wellness Center on the second and fourth Monday of each month, with exceptions for holidays.
2023 New Employee Orientation Dates
- Jan. 9 & Jan. 23
- Feb. 13 & Feb. 27
- March 13 & March 27
- April 10 & April 24
- May 8 & May 22
- June 12 & June 26
- July 10 & July 24
- Aug. 14 & Aug. 28
- Sept. 11 & Sept. 25
- Oct. 9 & Oct. 23
- Nov. 13 & Nov. 27
- Dec. 11 & Dec. 18
From your first day we want you to be feel welcomed and to be prepared to start working with your team!
During your first week, you should meet with your supervisor or another member of your team to build knowledge of internal processes and performance expectations. This is also a great time to engage with your new team members!
- Obtain your parking permit. It is important to submit your information for a parking pass on your first day to avoid getting a ticket.
- Visit the TritonCard office in 190 Millennium Student Center to get your ID card. Your picture will be taken and the card will be printed there for you.
- Learn how to fill out your timesheet by visiting the PeopleSoft HR Support website.
- Connect with other Tritons.
- Learn more about the Metro Pass Program at UMSL.
- Establish an alternative email. This will not change your actual email it will only add a personalized email instead of the automatically assigned numbers and letters. Doing this makes your email appear differently and can be used for signatures and business cards however, it will not change your sign-in information.
- Generate an email signature.
- Explore your new space. Grab a coworker and go for a tour of your new office and building to find out where everything is located.
- Create an email signature. Marketing has lots of templates and brand resources ready to use.
- Download a custom UMSL Zoom background.
- Request a preferred name change. If you would like to change your first name to a preferred name, please email email@example.com with your request. If you are requesting a legal name change or a last name change, please visit UMSL HR with your new documentation.
- Save on everyday expenses. Take advantage of our UMSL Discount Program with PerkSpot!
During your first month at UMSL, continue to learn about the university, your department and the people around you!
- Enroll in your benefits by logging onto myHR. If you do not enroll within 31 days of your hire date, you will be defaulted to employee only medical coverage in the Healthy Savings Plan. Unless you experience a Qualified Family Status event, your next opportunity to make changes to your benefits will be during the next annual enrollment, which is held in the fall.
- Complete the necessary compliance training as part of your duty to being a good university citizen, trainings include Building a Foundation: Discrimination, Prevention and Title IX, Global Cybersecurity Basics, and University of Missouri System Campus Emergency Alert Training.
- Participate in Staff Council. Meetings are open for all faculty, staff and students to attend. You do not have to be a member of Staff Council to attend their meetings or to be active in many of the committees.
- Access Percipio for additional professional development resources.
- Learn more about the University of Missouri System:
- Complete your probationary period. All new benefit-eligible administrative, service and support employees must serve a probationary period of six (6) months.
- Utilize tuition assistance. If you are an eligible employee, 75% of your tuition and supplemental fees can be waived for college-level credit courses through any university within the UM System. This 75-percent reduction applies to up to six credit hours per semester, except for the summer session when you may receive the same reduction for up to three credit hours.
- Review our resources for faculty and staff.