UMSL uses a Justification process to review all hiring for new or vacant positions as well as position reclassifications, unit reorganizations, compensation increases, and comparable changes. (Note: Justification approval is not needed for job postings for grant funded positions with a project number.) The review process ensures the University remains focused on key priorities:
- Ensuring our students receive a high-quality education
- Supporting retention and recruitment of our students
- Continuing research, scholarship, and engagement activities
- Supporting activities that grow revenues for the University
The Justification committee (members listed below) considers requests during bi-monthly meetings. The deadline for submitting materials to be reviewed at the meeting is two full business days in advance of the meeting. See below for the process and form.
We appreciate your continued support of the justification process to help us align our resources with our priorities. Please contact your supervisor, unit or leader, or Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.
Justification StepsComplete a Justification Form
- Work with your Business Manager and Human Resource Partner to complete a Justification form.
- Ensure all fields on the form are completed.
- Receive approval from your CSD leader, Business Manager, and HR Partner.
- Submit the form using the directions on the top of the form.
- The form and any additional materials must be submitted two full business days before the next meeting.
- Requests received after that timeframe will be scheduled for the following meeting
- The Justification meetings are scheduled bi-monthly to review and discuss the requests
- August 30
- September 13, 27
- October 11, 25
- November 8, 22
- December 6, 20
Receive a Response
- The respective Vice Chancellor will notify units of Justification Committee’s response following the meeting
Justification Committee Members
- Kristin Sobolik, Chancellor
- Steven Berberich, Provost & Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Tanika Busch, Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer
- Lisa Capone, Vice Chancellor for University Advancement
- Reggie Hill, Vice Chancellor for Strategic Enrollment
- Christopher Spilling, Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic and Community Development
- Tanisha Stevens, Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Jill Wood, Interim Executive Director, Human Resources