- BA, Sociology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- MS, Sociology, University of Wisconson, Madison,WI
- PhD, Sociology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Improving Effective Design and Targeting Of Substance Abuse Prevention Messages - Principal Investigator, NIDA (NIH), $553,220, 2013-2017
- Preventing Violence Behavior among College Students - Co-principal investigator, US Dept. of Education, $285,567, 2007-2009
- Targeting Mass Media Campaigns for HIV, STD, and Pregnancy Prevention- Principal Investigator, NIMH (NIH), $2,615,142, 2005-2011
- Improving School Learning Environments in HIV Prevention - Co-Principal Investigator, $2,086,866, NINR (NIH), 2007-2011
- School Based Alcohol and HIV Prevention in South Africa - Principal Investigator, $1,575,000, NIAAA (NIH), 2002-2007
- Boyson, A., Zimmerman, R. S., Shoemaker, S. (in press). Exemplification of HAART & HIV/AIDS: A news Experiment Health Communication.
- Benotsch, E.G., Zimmerman, R.S.,Cathers, L., McNulty, S., Pierce, J., Heck, T., Perrin, P., & Snipes, D.J. (2013). Non-medical use of prescription drugs, polysubstance use, and mental health in transgender adults. Drug and Alcohol Dependence,132, 391-394.
- Mehrotra, P., Zimmerman, R.,.Noar, S., & Dumenci, L.(2013). A test of an adapted Multiple Domain Model in predicting sexual behaviors among unmarried young adults in India. Journal of Sex Research, 50(2),116-127.
- Atwood, K. A., Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Fongkawe, W., Miller, B. A., Byrnes, H. F., Chamratrithirong, Ap., Rhucharcenpompanich, O., Nonthathom, C., Rosati, M. J., Warunee, C.(2012). Correlates of precoital behaviors, intentions, and sexual initiation among Thai adolescents. The Journal of Early Adolescence, 32(3), 364-386.
- Cupp, P.K., Zimmerman, R. S., Bhana, A., Feist-Price, S., Dekhtyar, O., Karnell, A., Ramsoomar, L. (2008). Combining and adapting American school-based alcohol and HIV prevention programs in South Africa: The HAPS project.Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies, 3(2), 134-142
- Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Donohew, R. L., Sionean, C., Feist-Price, S., Helme, D. (2008). Effects of a school-based, theory-driven HIV and pregnancy prevention curriculum. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 40(1):, 42-51.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Noar, S. Feist-Price, S., Dekhtyar, O., Cupp, P. K., Anderman, E., Lock, S. (2007) Longitudinal test of a Multiple Domain Model of adolescent condom use. Journal of Sex Research, 44(4),380-394.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Palmgreen, P., Noar, S. M., Lustria, M. L. A., Lu, H. Y., Horosewski, M. L. (2007). Effects of a televised two-city safer sex mass media campaign targeting high sensation-seeking and impulsive decision-making young adults. Health Education & Behavior, 34(5), 810-826.
- Roberto, A. J., Zimmerman, R. S., Carlyle, K., Abner, E. L., Cupp, P. K., Hansen, G. L. (2007). The effects of a computer-based HIV, STD, and pregnancy prevention intervention: A nine-school trial. Health Communication, 21(2), 115-124.
- Noar, S. M., Zimmerman, R. S. (2005). Health behavior theory and cumulative knowledge regarding health behaviors: Are we moving in the right direction? Health Education Research: Theory & Practice, 20(3),275-290.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Friedman, S. (2011, August). Efforts at Designing “Structural Interventions” for HIV Prevention Need More Input from Sociologists. Roundtable presented at the American Sociological Association annual meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Palmgreen, P., Noar, S. M., Cupp, P. K., Floyd, B. R. (2010, November). Developing, implementing, and evaluating a public service announcement (PSA) campaign to delay sexual activity in adolescents: The challenge and promise. Paper presented at the 138th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Janssen, E., Girardelli, D., Kittel, J.A., Floyd, B., Mehrotra, P. (2010, June). Arousing ourselves into risky sex: Effects of arousal on condom-related decision making. Paper presented at the Society for the Scientific Study Sexuality annual meeting , Las Vegas, NV.
- Zimmerman, R. S.(2008, April). What works in HIV prevention?, Invited talk to Vanderbilt University Center on Global Health, Nashville, TN.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Bhana, A., Feist-Price, S. (2007, July). Explaining initiation of sexual activity in South Africa with the Multiple Domain Model. Paper presented at AIDS Impact conference, Marseilles, France.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Zimmerman, R. S., DiClemente, R., Andrus, J., Hosein, E. (Eds.). (in press). Global Health promotion. Washington, DC: Jossey-Bass.
- Albrecht, G., Zimmerman, R. S., (Eds.). 1992. Advances in medicalsSociology, Volume 3. AIDS: SociologicalpPerspectives. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
Honors and Awards
- Member, Data Safety and Monitoring Board, NIMH Multi-Site Study, “A Multilevel HIV Prevention Strategy for High-Risk Youth,” Daniel Romer, PI, 2004-2009
- Standing member, Behavioral Science Prevention of HIV Study Section, NIH, 2003-2007
- Researcher of the Year, College of Communications and Information Studies, University of Kentucky
- Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University, 1978
- American Public Health Association
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Society for Prevention Research
- American Academy of Health Behavior
- Society for Public Health Education