About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the College
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Margaret Barton-Burke, PhD, RN, FAAN
207 Nursing Administration Building
Mary Ann Lee Endowed Professor of Oncology Nursing and Associate Professor
207 Nursing Administration Building
College of Nursing, South Campus
- BSN, William Paterson College, Wayne, New Jersey
- MD, Teaching Specialty & Oncology Nursing, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- PhD, Psychosocial Nursing, University of Rode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island
- Cancer-related research interests.
- Culturally-appropriate interventions, outreach, and programs for the community of color.
- Culture and health disparities focusing specifically on black women breast cancer survivors.
- Breast cancer and nursing interventions in Nigeria.
- Research capacity building in a pan-African Doctoral Dissertation Research Program.
- 2013 Black Women & Breast Cancer: The Knowledge is Power Conference. Funded $19,000.00. This project is funded, in part, by the Clear Channel and Sista Strut ($6000.00); Office of Minority Health ($2600.00); Genetech ($3000.00); Komen for the Cure, St. Louis Affiliate ($3000.00); Missouri Foundation for Health ($3000.00); Cliffedge Marketing ($1000.00); Chi Eta Phi, Rho Chapter ($100.00); 100 Black Women ($300.00); Mary Ann Lee Endowment in Oncology Nursing.
- Education, Training, and Outreach Core of Washington University’s application for a Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer grant entitled A Multilevel Approach to Energy Balance and Cancer across the Lifecourse (U54).Funded for $11,248,000 (5 year). 2010- 2014, PI Dr. Graham Colditz
- Transdisciplinary Community Based Participatory Research (TCBPR) Training Program of the Program for the Elimination of Cancer Disparities (PECaD) at Siteman Cancer Center. National Cancer Institute's Community Networks Program: Centers for Reducing Cancer Disparities through Outreach, Research and Training (RFA-CA-09-032). Funded $4,778,218 (5 year). 2009 – 2013. Dr. Graham Colditz.
- Long Term Quality of Life in Black Women Breast Cancer Survivors, Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, $286,000.00, 2007 - 2010, 30%, Completed, PI. Grant# DISP0707596.
- Innovations Grant: On-Line Nursing Education Certificate Program, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Outreach and Innovations Grant, $15,500.00, 01-01-2007 - 08-31-2008, Barton-Burke, M & Griffin, L.
- Self in Relation to Health. The Mellon Mutual Mentoring Initiative: The Mellon Mutual Mentoring Grant. Funded $14,605.00, 2007 – 2008. Jacelon, C., Barton-Burke, M., Zucker, D., & Chandler, G.
- Barton-Burke, M. (2014). Professional Issues: Cancer Nursing Practice: Legal and Quality Issues. In Oncology Nursing eBook. R. Hawkins and D. Camp Sorrell (Eds.) http://inpractice.com/ and http://www.clinicaloptions.com/inPractice.aspx
- Wilkes, G.M. & Barton-Burke, M..(2014). Oncology Nursing Drug Handbook (ONDH), in progress. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA.
- Barton-Burke, M., Smith, E., Frain, J. & Loggins, C. (2010). Advanced Cancer in Underserved Populations, Seminars in Oncology Nursing, Vol. 26(2), pp. 157-167.
- Barton-Burke, M., Barreto, R.C. & Archibald, L.I.S. (2008). Suffering as a Multicultural Cancer Experience, Seminars in Oncology Nursing, Vol. 24(4), pp. 229-236.
- Barton-Burke, M. & Juarez, G. (2008). Cancer Care in Vulnerable Populations, Seminars in Oncology Nursing, Vol. 24(4), edited entire issue.
- Barton-Burke, M., Cavaretta, J., Nkimbeng, M., Nowacka, J., Proctor, C., Shi, J., Webb, J. & Worcester, A. (2006). Black Women and Breast Cancer: A Review of the Literature, Journal of Multicultural Nursing and Health, Vol. 12(2), pp. 11-20.
- Barton-Burke, M.(2006). Cancer-Related Fatigue and Sleep Disturbances: Further Research on the Prevalence of These Two Symptoms in Long-term Cancer Survivors Can Inform Education, Policy, and Clinical Practice, Cancer Nursing, Vol. 29(2), pp. 72-77.
- Barton-Burke, M. (2006). Fatigue and Sleep Disturbances in Long-Term Survivors of Cancer. State of the Science on Nursing Approaches to Manage Long Term Sequelae of Cancer and Cancer Therapy, American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 106(3 supplement), pp. 71-77.
- Winningham, M. & Barton-Burke, M.(2002). La fatique nel malato oncologico: Un approccio multidisciplinare. Il Pensiero Scientifico Editore, Roma, Italy. Published in English as Fatigue in Cancer: A Multidimensional Approach.
- Winningham, M. & Barton-Burke, M.(2002). Fatigue in Cancer: A Multidimensional Approach. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA.
- Barton-Burke, M., Wilkes, G.M., Berg, D., Bean, C. & Ingwersen, K. Cancer Chemotherapy: A Nursing Process Approach, 1991. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Boston, MA.
- Barton-Burke, M., Kanjanapradit, S., Vonghirunpinyo, C., Ferrell, B., Johnson, C., & Oliver, T. (2014). Black Women & Breast Cancer: Knowledge is Power Conference. Poster Presentation, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 03-28-2014.
- Barton-Burke, M., Izugbara, C., Kabiru, C., Ezeh, A., & Amendah, D. (2014). Capacity Building: Research Infrastructure in Africa. Poster Presentation, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 03-28-2014.
- St. Vrain, R., Bentley, J., Cook, D., & Barton-Burke, M., Mentor.(2014). Hypertension Assessment and Management of African Americans: A Community-Based Approach. Poster Presentation, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 03-29-2014.
- Barton-Burke, M. & Wiltz, F. (2013). Social Construction of Breast Cancer: Experiences of Black Women Survivors. Podium Presentation. Session entitled Moving Beyond Social Constructionism in Race and Ethnicity – THEMATIC. 2013 SSSP Annual Meeting. New York, NY, 7-11 August 2013.
- Lynn, J. & Barton-Burke, M.(2013). An Analysis of Four Theories that Undergird Research in Plus-sized Black Women. Poster Presentation, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 03-09-2013.
Other Scholarly Activites
- Abou-Alfa, G. & Barton-Burke, M. (2013). Changing Science and Future Pathways in the Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Multidisciplinary Perspective. Webinar sponsored by Med IQ, Baltimore, MD. Taped October 30, 2013.
- Medscape interview on TKI-MKI Adverse Effects in Patients with Heptocellluar Cancer. SF82754.2. November 2011. Link to the activity that includes your interview. http://www.medscape.org/viewprogram/32219
- Invitational Faculty & Senior Faculty Member, African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowships (ADDRF) Training Workshop sponsored by AFRICAN POPULATION AND HEALTH RESEARCH CENTER (APHRC), Nairobi, Kenya. November 10-14, 2008; August 27-September 7, 2009; May 3-5, 2010; May 23-27, 2011; May 7-11, 2012, May 20-24, 2013. July 15-17, 2013 pre-conference speaker for the Inaugural Emerging Scholars Symposium, Nairobi, Kenya
Honors and Awards
- Who's Who in Health Sciences Higher Education (WWHSHE), 2013.
- Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, FAAN, October, 2012.
- Sigma Theta Tau, 1991
- 1998 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year. Wilkes, G.M., Ingwersen, K. and Barton-Burke, M. 1999 Oncology Nursing Drug Handbook. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- 1997 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year. Wilkes, G.M., Ingwersen, K., & Barton-Burke, M. 1997-1998 Oncology Nursing Drug Handbook. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Office of the Surgeon General’s Award of the “A” Proficiency Designator. Highest award that can be made in recognition of professional accomplishments within the AMEDD, 1 August 1994.
- Oncology Nursing Society, 1986-present
- President (elected), 2014-2016
- Director at Large (elected), 2010 - 2013
- Member, St. Louis Chapter, 2008 – present
- Liaison, National Cancer Advisory Board, 12-06-2010 - 12-08-2010
- President, St. Louis Chapter, 2010 - 2011
- President-elect (elected by write-in), St. Louis Chapter, 2009 - 2010
- Member, Central Massachusetts Chapter, 2002-2005
- Member, Boston Chapter, 1983-1997
- Member(elected), Nominating Committee, Boston Chapter, 1985-1987
- President-elect (elected), Boston Chapter, 1986-1987
- President (elected), Boston Chapter, 1987-1988