How to Apply
Funding Graduate School
UMSL ETD Info
Oral Defense Announcements
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Research Fair
Three Minute Thesis
Open Student Meetings
Graduate Faculty Members
Graduate Program Directors
About the Graduate School
Applying for degree seeking graduate admission
- Application Deadlines
- Complete the application and pay the application fee
- Request Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation
- Submit a writing sample
- Request your GRE/GMAT scores
- Submit Assistantship Application (if applicable)
- Print an application checklist to stay organized.
The general application deadlines to apply are as follows: July 1 for the fall semester, December 1 for the spring semester and May 1 for the summer semester. Some degree programs have specific deadline dates and may only admit once each calendar year, so it is important to review the deadlines of your specific program. Other deadline dates and provisions may apply for international students.
Complete the Application(s) and pay the Application Fee
- Graduate applicants must submit an electronic application that requires about 15-20 minutes to complete. Once completed, program faculty conduct detailed reviews of the application packets and recommend whether to admit each applicant. You can return to the application site and check on your application status at any time.
- After you have completed your application and paid your application fee, you will receive an e-mail confirmation that provides additional details such as contact information and a confirmation number which you can refer to if you ever need to contact us with questions about your application.
- Should you have a question or should any situation arise that prevents you from applying or submitting the application fee, please contact our campus specialist in electronic applications, Jaime Lincoln, at (314) 516-6939 as soon as possible for assistance.
Official confirmation of a previous degree is required for admission to all graduate programs at UMSL. In addition, most programs require official transcripts from every college or university you have attended. International students must request official certified transcripts. International students should contact International Student and Scholar Services with any questions or for more detailed information. UMSL Alumni: Your undergraduate records are accessible by Graduate Admissions and you do not need to send an UMSL transcript or resend previously submitted final transcripts.
Send transcripts to the following addresses:
|Domestic Students||International Students|
University of Missouri-St. Louis
University of Missouri- St. Louis
Letters of Recomendation (Note: The recommendation letter process is electronic. It requires login with a SSO, which is normally emailed within one to two days of applying)
Most graduate programs at UM-St. Louis require letters of recommendation. Programs may have various requirements, so applicants should refer to the profile page for their specific program.
A few days after you have completed the admissions application, you will receive an email containing your university assigned SSO and activation instructions. Graduate school applicants can then log into the Recommendation Letter Request system. Once logged in:
- The applicant will enter the name and email address of the individual from whom they are seeking a letter of recommendation.
- The applicant will choose to waive or not waive review of the recommendation letter. If waived, the applicant will be unable to view the submitted recommendation letter. If not waived, the applicant will be able to view all text and documents submitted by the recommender.
After submission, the applicant will receive an email confirming that the request has been sent to the recommender.
Only after the applicant has submitted a recommendation letter request will you receive an email from UM-St. Louis with instructions on how to complete the letter of recommendation. The email will contain a link that will direct you to the electronic recommendation request. The link will be specific to the applicant's recommendation request.
You MUST click on the link in the email to login. The login process is the same for external as well as internal UM System Faculty and Staff recommenders. Once logged in:
- The recommender will complete the profile to begin the letter.
After submission, the applicant, the UMSL Graduate School and the appropriate department will all be notified by email.
Some programs want evidence that you are a serious student capable of writing a scholarly paper in English. If you have not written a research paper for several years, you may be able to submit other samples of professional writing. Please check your program requirements because some have very specific guidelines beyond these suggestions. Your writing sample and any other supplemental application materials should be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Graduate Admissions Office
121 Woods Hall
One University Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63121-4400
For additional assistance please contact: