A university clinical educator will mentor teacher candidates at each studio school site to support their work with P-12 students and ensure a collaborative school-university partnership.
The university clinical educator will be in a studio school site 1 day per week, the entire year, to mentor teacher candidates, lead seminars and provide support to schools.
The Responsibilities of Clinical Educators
Observations and Observation Tools
- Conduct 4 DESE MEES Teacher Candidate Assessment Rubric observations per semester for each teacher candidate located in MyCOE
- Ensure that the clinical teacher has the electronic MEES Teacher Candidate Assessment Rubric and completes 2 informal and 2 formal observations (collected electronically in MyCOE) observations per semester, and provides regular feedback to the candidate.
- Work collaboratively with the school administration and faculty to develop a successful ResponsiveDesign™ model in which teacher candidates will engage with all aspects of the school academic curriculum, professional development, professional learning communities, data teams, etc.
- Collaborate with site coordinator, faculty members, principals and other staff members to provide differentiated staffing experiences that model proficient teaching practices.
- Facilitate weekly seminar sessions with teacher candidates that are inquiry- focused and designed to move theory to practice.
- Coach teacher candidates in classroom teaching and broader schools and community leadership responsibilities.
- Ensure that teacher candidates have the opportunity to become proficient in meeting Missouri education standards and in teaching responsibilities.
- Work with candidates on-site in schools one day per week or every-other-week throughout the academic semester to mentor, advise and engage with both candidates and classroom teachers throughout the school day.
- Assess teacher candidates’ instruction in a variety of settings and supported by documents in the electronic format, including MEES and the Professionalism Checklist.
- Document teacher candidates’ progress as needed in MyCOE and face-to-face meetings.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the Director of Clinical Experience.
- Grade course work in Canvas and provide feedback.
- Assign a final Practicum grade.