Web Page Tips: Updating Navigation
At some point, you will need to add or change the information in the flyout menus of the left-hand navigation of your site. Since the text of the flyout menu does not show up in the Design view in Dreamweaver, you will need to select the Split view mode at the top left corner of the page in Dreamweaver. This will split your screen so you can see the code of your Website, along with the browser look at the same time.
- You will need to change the navigation in two files: your main index.html page (your home page) and the template file that is located in the templates folder, usually named secondary.dwt or main.dwt.
- Place your cursor in the lower browser half of Dreamweaver and highlight the category of the left navigation where you want to make the change (i.e. About Department).
- Once you have highlighted the category, you will see in the top Code window the exact spot where the flyout information is located within <li> tags.
- If you need to add a link, pick the placement in the menu list where you want to add it, and type in the code window <li>New Page Name</li>.
- Once you have done that, highlight New Page Name in the code and link to the file of your choice.
- Once this is complete, be sure to do the exact same procedure in both the template file and index.html file.
- When you save the change to your template, you will be prompted to update all pages that use the template. Select Yes and Dreamweaver will apply your change to every page on your site that uses the template.
- You will also need to update the html file that mirrors the flyout navigation. It is almost always in the same folder as the files you are updating or adding with a file name that contains the navigational heading name and "-index" (i.e. about-index.html or student-index.html). These files are used in case someone with disabilities cannot manipulate their mouse to use the flyout menus.
- Once the index.html and all your secondary pages have been changed, you must ftp the files to the server.
If you have any questions or difficulties, email the Web Office