Instructional Support - Printing Policies
Instructional Support Services uses PaperCut NG to help manage the printing in the lab and classroom environments. PaperCut will assist Instructional Computing in understanding the academic printing needs of students.
PaperCut provides feedback to students on how many pages are in each print job, as well as a history of the print jobs they have sent. There are also features that will allow users to see what their print jobs environmental impact is on trees, carbon, and energy.
Overall the features of PaperCut should help improve our impact on the environment by reducing the amount of paper and toner used in the labs and classrooms. Those wanting to reduce the amount of paper they consume have a few options; select duplex printing when available, print only documents that will be used, view materials electronically, reduce the size of the margins, and ask your instructor if they you can submit your course work electronically.
It is important to remember the following Instructional Computing printing policies.
- No Multiple Copies. (Copy Machines are available in many locations on campus.)
- When printing, only print 20 pages at a time so that others may get their print jobs processed in a timely manner
- Use only the paper provided in the computer labs. You will not be allowed to put your own paper in the lab printers.
- The printing of envelopes, transparencies or mailing labels are prohibited in the labs.
- When printing large documents from the web, use Print Preview to print only those pages you need rather than the entire document.
- When printing Power Point presentations print them three - six slides to a page to minimize paper consumption. Lab consultants can assist you with this process.
- Please report any printer problems immediately to the consultant on duty.
- Some of the computer labs are equipped with color printers. When printing to a color printer, send the print job to that printer, and then work with the consultant on duty in that lab to release your print job. Color print jobs expire after 30 minutes.