UMSL has chosen Microsoft's Office 365 service to provide students with email accounts. All official University communications will be sent to your campus email address.
- Your username for Office 365 is based on your SSO ID, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may forward your Office 365 email to another email account
- You may continue to use Office 365 email after leaving the University
In order to begin using your email, you must activate your Office 365 account:
- If you have not already activated your UMSL SSO ID, visit MyView.
- Use your SSO ID to set your Office 365 password. (Office 365 passwords are separate from your SSO ID.)
- Log into http://mail.umsl.edu using your Office 365 login (email@example.com) and password.
Once you log in and complete the verification process, you will be taken to the Office 365 Account Home Page. From this page you can set a new password and/or provide an alternate e-mail address to assist with recovering your password.
The University of Missouri campuses have chosen Microsoft Exchange to provide faculty/staff email. As part of UM Shared Services Initiative, this solution has been collaboratively designed and built with high-availability in mind, with the primary systems on the Columbia campus and a separate failover site.
The University of Missouri has upgraded the campus email solution to Exchange 2016.
Exchange mailbox features include:
- 15GB mail quotas
- Outlook Web Access client provides convenient access to email via https://owa.umsl.edu.
- Improved ability to manage emails subject to retention policies.
- Reduced need to use PST files for archiving email. By moving the contents of your PSTs back into your mailbox, you can browse or search for those items through OWA.
- Enhanced Out of Office Assistant. When you are out of the office, you can create a separate auto-reply messages for senders outside of UM than the one seen by your UM colleagues.
- Conversation view (available in OWA as well as the desktop client) enables you to quickly identify the most recent messages in a chain of grouped messages and responses, even when messages are located in different folders. A conversation of grouped messages can be managed as a whole.
General Configuration Details
On-campus Windows clients: for when auto-configuration does not work
|Outlook on campus desktops will typically auto-configure the correct settings when Outlook is restarted after mailbox migration|
Off-campus Windows clients
Outlook 2010 and later with Outlook Anywhere
|OutlookAnywhere, particularly for laptops taken on and off-campus, allows a connection from off-campus without VPN|
Mac Clients Outlook 2016
|Mac clients are configured identically, whether on or off-campus.|
|Outlook Web App(formerly Outlook Web Access||OWA can be accessed at http://owa.umsl.edu|
Smartphones and other mobile devices with Exchange Server/ActiveSync support
Specific instructions are not available for:
|Devices with native support for Exchange Server or ActiveSync should be configured to use owa.umsl.edu (Some devices may require you to delete the existing profile and add a new one, rather than changing the existing one)|
Note: Due to limitations and risks with the POP3 protocol, the University has removed POP3 access to faculty/staff email.