What is Partners in Prevention?
Partners in Prevention is Missouri's higher education substance abuse consortium dedicated to creating healthy and safe college campuses. UMSL Partners in Prevention is a collaborative coalition using data-driven, evidence-guided practices to foster informed decision-making and healthy and safe choices for the campus community. The coalition is comprised of 24 public and private college and university campuses across the state. For more information about this statewide initiative, visit their website.
What does this mean for UMSL?
UMSL has our own coalition based off the statewide coalition, UMSL Partners in Prevention coalition is coordinated by the Social Worker through the Division of Student Affairs and is made up of individuals from key offices such as Athletics, Counseling, Greek Life, Health and Wellness, Police, Residential Life, Student Affairs, Student Life, and the Veterans Center. Our coalition works collaboratively to reduce students’ engagement in high-risk behaviors related to alcohol and drug use as well as increasing protective behaviors related to a variety of issues such as safe dating, driving, and mental health.
Our coalition writes an annual strategic plan for prevention, guided by data, to identify those problems and strategies most relevant for our campus community. The coalition then approaches prevention efforts with evidence based practices and data driven goals. Quarterly meetings are held in order to identify progress being made, barriers to progress, and ways to overcome those barriers. The key assessment tool for determining prevention programming outcomes is the Missouri College Health Behavior Survey.
What can UMSL Partners in Prevention provide the campus?
- The UMSL PIP coalition provides the campus with evidence based prevention programming that is strategic to addressing the high-risk behaviors being presented by our students.
- The coalition can also provide support and educational materials to any group or department that is conducting their own prevention programming. Please complete the UMSL PIP request for assistance form.
- Beyond education materials, UMSL PIP also coordinates the Missouri College Health Behavioral Survey. To request data about UMSL's campus through the MCHBS Survey please fill out a data request.
- We also represent UMSL at statewide meetings and advocate for the needs of our campus and students. Specialized funding opportunities, training, and materials are secured through these meetings.
- Please click the link below to request assistance from the UMSL Partners in Prevention and Awareness Coalition for your prevention program, event, or outreach. This campus coalition can provide materials or support on a wide variety of topics related to the prevention of high risk alcohol use, illegal drug use or prescription drug misuse, unsafe/unhealthy relationships, and safe driving. We can also provide financial support or co-sponsorship for programs and activities that align with our goal to reduce risky behaviors related to alcohol and other drugs, as well as create a healthy and safe campus.