How to find resources:
There are many resources available in the areas surrounding UMSL and the communities UMSL students call home. You can use the links below to search for resources on your own. Services and agencies regularly change so guides may not be entirely complete. For assistance navigating, please contact us.
Some tips to keep in mind during your search:
- Prioritize - Make a list of your needs and seek help for the ones that are most important.
- Search - Locate providers who offers services that fit your needs
- Participate - Try to provide all of the information that's being requested and follow through with the steps you need to take
When contacting agencies:
- Be ready to provide your full name and contact information. Use the priorities you've created to give a brief account of what you need. It may be helpful to have these main points and your questions written down in front of you for your reference.
- Have paper and pencil ready when you call. Take notes! Be sure to record the names, titles, and phone numbers of the people you speak with.
- Keep your notes together so you can use this information when you make follow-up calls.
- Take the time to say thank you to those who assist you along the way.
Where to look:
United Way 2-1-1 is the largest and most popular resource guide available in Missouri and Illinois. By dialing 2-1-1, you can speak with a resource specialist 24 hours a day, 7 days a week that can help you find the resources available to you. You can also chat with a representative Monday through Friday from 9AM to 5PM. United Way 2-1-1 offers their full resource guide online for you to browse and search at your convenience.
Start Here Saint Louis A resource directory providing program and contact information for dozens of agencies, shelters, employment resources, food pantries and more throughout the St Louis area. They also publish an annual Resource Directory that is available to print.
You can also find updated cooling center, summer meal program, health and and legal information.
Child Care Aware Search for child care by zipcode to make an information choice. Providers are screened by Child Care Aware to ensure quality and safety. After using this site, if you have questions or need additional assistance, please call 1-866-892-3228 to speak with a Child Care Aware Resource Specialist.
Mercy Healthcare also maintains a list of neighborhood ministry resources.