3 Year Course Schedule
3 Year Course Schedule
Math Academic Center
What is the MTLC?
Major Research Areas
News and Events
Archived News and Events
Articles in the News
Update Your Information
Recent Ph.D. Recipients
Scholarships and Opportunities
UMSL Career Services
This is an integrated BA/BS and MA ("2+3") dual degree program in Mathematics: it is designed to provide an opportunity for mathematics majors at the University of Missouri-St Louis (UMSL) with a strong academic record to start earning graduate work credit before actually completing their undergraduate degree and to shorten, or accelerate, the time required as graduate students to earn their master’s degree. A student in this program can apply up to 12 credit hours of 4000-and-above level courses towards both programs.
- Undergraduate math majors can apply for provisional admission for this program if:
- They have completed at least 60 credit hours of coursework and
- Their GPA is 3.0 or higher.
Students submit their applications to the department. Once a student is admitted in this provisional status, the student continues to work toward his/her undergraduate degree until the student completes 90-102 undergraduate credit hours. Meanwhile the student will be advised to complete the required courses for graduate admission.
- A provisionally admitted student is reviewed for formal admission after completing 90 undergraduate credit hours. Minimal requirements for admission include:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of the review
- MATH 1320, MATH 2020, MATH 2450, MATH 3000 - all completed with a grade of B- or higher.
A student’s application meeting the minimal requirements does not mean the student is automatically admitted in this program. The math graduate committee will review the application and make a decision. In case the application is approved, the student needs to complete a formal application for admission into the graduate program and is recommended for admission by the graduate committee.
- The current separate requirements for BA/BS and MA in math remain unchanged.
- Once the student is admitted in this program, the student is allowed to take graduate courses (paid with graduate fees).
- The student in this program can apply up to 12 credit hours of 4000-and-above level courses towards both the bachelor and master’s degrees. The student may get the BA/BS and MA degrees at the same time.
- In case a student cannot complete the master’s degree for some reason, up to 12 credit hours of graduate level courses can be applied towards the BA/BS degree.
- Students will pay graduate fees for all courses after being admitted and starting the program.