Option 1: Mid-semester feedback system
What is it? Confidential online questionnaire administered to students to obtain early feedback on the course. See the questions in the survey before you register.
Who can see the results? Only the instructor has access to the feedback.
What are the benefits? Confidential feedback that can be implemented before final course evaluations.
When can you register? Faculty can register for the mid-semester feedback system as soon as the semester begins and continue until registration closes at end of day on March 4, 2022. *New deadline!
When is the survey available for students? The survey is available through end of day March 18, 2022. *Extended window for capturing student feedback.Need help or want to explore the FAQ about the mid-semester feedback survey system? Check out this resource.
Option 2: GIFT (Group Instructional Feedback Technique)--This option is not available for Spring 2022.
What is it? A facilitated student group interview about what is working well in a course and where obstacles to learning may be.
- Instructor explains to the students in the class session prior to the GIFT what will happen during the process, and why the process is being initiated.
- The day of the GIFT the instructor introduces the CTL facilitators and leaves the room.
- During the last 20-25 minutes of class the facilitators guide students to reach consensus around what is fostering their learning, barriers to their learning, and potential solutions to those barriers
- Facilitator summarizes the responses and within one to two days meets with the instructor to discuss the feedback and potential teaching strategies
- Instructor reports proposed changes and feedback to the class
Who can see the results? Only the instructor and the CTL consultant have access to the feedback.
When can you register? Faculty can register for a GIFT now for 16-week classes by end of 5th week of semester and for 8-week classes by end of 3rd week of course.
When should the GIFT be completed? The GIFT should be completed around mid-semester but should not be administered directly before or after a major exam or assignment.
What are the benefits? Confidential feedback that can be implemented before final course evaluations. Student empowerment and trust built with the instructor through the process.
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) will no longer offer the Mid-semester Design Survey for online courses. If you would like to see the questions that we offered for our course design survey, you can find those questions here. For help and feedback with online courses, please visit the UM-system Office of eLearning.