New Search Announced!!!
Associate Provost for Professional Development
and Director, Center for Teaching and Learning
The Associate Provost for Professional Development and Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL) reports directly to the Provost and is responsible for leadership of the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). The CTL promotes excellence in faculty teaching, research, scholarship and creative activity, and the facilitation of student learning, service, and community engagement, through workshops, colloquia, seminars, and other professional development activities. The CTL supports undergraduate and graduate student professional development, in collaboration with other units.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Leading and managing the Center for Teaching and Learning;
- Developing and supporting faculty excellence in teaching, research/scholarship/creative activity, student learning, community engagement, and service;
- Developing and leading faculty orientations for new full-time and part-time faculty;
- Developing and leading orientations for graduate assistants and undergraduate learning assistants, in collaboration with other campus units as appropriate;
- Managing the instructional designers and developers and campus professional development programs for face to face, hybrid/blended, and online teaching and learning, including course and program design;
- Communicating to UMSL faculty and academic staff the importance of excellence in teaching, facilitation of student learning, research/scholarship/creative activity, and service;
- Facilitating faculty professional development;
- Leveraging resources and managing budgets to achieve CTL and UMSL goals;
- Collaborating with campus units and other colleges and universities to achieve campus goals in faculty, undergraduate student, and graduate student professional development, including facilitating the campus offering of the Certificate in University Teaching (CUT) and professional development for undergraduate learning assistants;
- Strongly supporting campus goals of student recruitment, retention, and degree completion/graduation, and faculty recruitment and retention;
- Serving on Faculty Senate and University Assembly committees, other campus committees and activities, and external committees and activities, as appropriate;
- Represent the Provost in an ex officio capacity on the Senate Faculty Teaching and Service Awards Committee;
- Supporting University of Missouri System-wide professional development programs such as the Leadership Development Program (LDP), UM Faculty Scholars, and others;
- Offering programs to campus leaders including deans, department chairs, directors, and others, such as the annual Academic./Campus Leaders Forum, programs for new chairs, workshops on promotion and tenure, and other programs as appropriate;
- Teaching in an appropriate field and, if approved by the Provost and relevant Dean, holding a percentage appointment in the department of his/her tenure home (this is optional and may be negotiated depending on individual selected);
- Consulting with and advising the Provost on relevant activities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Terminal degree in an appropriate discipline and credentials to support tenure at the associate professor or professor level;
- Demonstrable excellence and experience in leading and managing a center, department, or comparable unit in an academic (university or college) setting;
- Excellent record of teaching and scholarship in an appropriate field;
- Interest in continuing to teach as appropriate (optional);
- Demonstrable understanding of and expertise in educational technologies that enhance teaching and learning and willingness to continue to develop in this area as new technologies emerge;
- Demonstrable expertise in faculty development;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including public speaking;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and relationship skills;
- Demonstrable ability to manage multiple projects with multiple stakeholders simultaneously;
- Demonstrable excellence in collaboration and shared governance; and
- Awareness of and commitment to contributing to solving current and future issues in higher education teaching and learning.
Applicants must apply through the MyHR portal: https://myhr.umsystem.edu/psp/tamext/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=12865&SiteId=5&PostingSeq=1. Please attach one .pdf file which contains a letter of interest, a statement of your philosophy of professional development; curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for a minimum of three references. Committee review of candidates will begin the week of April 28, 2014, and continue until the position is filled.
View the results from SB389 survey