Missouri House Bill 390 (HB390) requires that institutions of higher education verify that individuals receiving "a public benefit under which payments, assistance, credits or reduced rates or fees are provided" are lawfully present in the United States. The University of Missouri is currently verifying that all students over the age of 18, who are physically present and attend classes on any of our four campuses and receive any form of postsecondary education public benefit, are either a United States citizen, a permanent resident, or are lawfully present in the United States.

Postsecondary education public benefit is defined as including (1) institutional financial aid awarded by a public college or university and (2) state-administered grants and scholarships awarded by any postsecondary higher education institution.

For the complete text of House Bill 390, please visit the Missouri House of Representatives website.

How does HB390 affect me?

If you are receiving financial aid of any sort from one of the sources listed above, we must verify that you are here legally before we can release funds your account with the Office of Student Financial Services. We will add a hold to the account of students who are affected by HB390. You can see the hold in your Student Center in MyView

Main Menu > Self Service > Student Center

It will appear as "HB 390 Verification Required" under Holds.

I have the hold, but I don't have any financial aid

Most students will be able to see their financial aid in MyView under View Financial Aid.

Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Finances > View Financial Aid

However, some financial aid is automatically applied by the Office of Student Financial Services when you register for specific courses. This type of aid does not appear under View Financial Aid until after it has paid. As such, some students may have the HB390 Holds on their accounts even when they do not see financial aid under View Financial Aid. If you have the hold on your account, it is important that you complete the HB390 verification process to ensure you receive the assistance offered by the University from all sources.

How do I resolve the HB390 hold?

Simply completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will resolve this for most students. However, we understand that some students either cannot complete the FAFSA or do not wish to complete the FAFSA. Before we can release your aid, you will need to submit one of the following documents to verify your citizenship, permanent residency, or lawful presence in the United States:

  • Any domestic State issued Driver's License
  • A state-issued non-driver’s identification card
  • An official Missouri Identification Card
  • An official domestic State Identification Card
  • A U.S. military identification card
  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Passport (current or expired)
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • I-551 card (Resident Alien Card)
  • Passport stamped "Approved I-551"
  • Passport stamped "Processed for I-551"
  • Re-entry Permit I-327
  • I-94 stamped "Processed for I-551" or stamped "Refugee" or stamped "Asylee"
  • Refugee Travel Document I-571

Students can submit any of these documents through one of the following ways:

  1. Bring the document to one of the following offices during normal business hours.
  2. Scan the document and attach it to an email to the Office of Student Financial Services (financialaid@umsl.edu)
  3. Fax a copy of the document to the Office of Student Financial Services at (314) 516-5408. Please make a copy of the document before faxing to ensure the copy we receive is legible.
  4. Make a copy of the document and mail it to the Office of Student Financial Services.