CREATOR: Lanning, John Tate.
SCOPE: The collection is composed of approximately 40,000 photocopies collected by Professor Lanning during more than forty years of historical study and investigation. Many taken from archives in Latin America and Spain.
EXTENT: 1800 individual items representing, 40,000 photocopies in various formats, approximately 75 linear feet.
HISTORY: Noted professor of Latin American Studies at Duke University, Professor Lanning studied and wrote about numerous topics relating to the Spanish Colonies in the Americas. To this end he was the author of numerous works including Academic Culture In The Spanish Colonies and The Eighteenth-Century Enlightenment In The University Of San Carlos De Guatemala. In addition he served as editor for The Hispanic American Historical Review. The collection was purchased by the University of Missouri St. Louis in 1977, soon after the death of Professor Lanning.
ACCESS: This collection is available for on-site use only in the Rare Book and Manuscripts Reading Room. Some of the material in Special Collection M-132 may be photocopied, digitally scanned or photographed, subject to condition. For collections marked limited access, researchers are advised to contact the library at least three business days in advance of their visit to submit a request to view the physical material.
A finding aid written in Spanish is available as well as a list of periodicals within the collection.
El Calendario de Manuscritos de la Colección Lanning con Apuntes para el Usuario.pdf
List of Periodicals in the John Tate Lanning Collection.pdf
Researchers are advised to call ahead concerning changes in hours due to University intersessions and holidays. The St. Louis Mercantile Library is located on levels one and two of the Thomas Jefferson Library building.
In observance of security procedures, certain services may not be available shortly before the daily closing time.
Preferred Citation: When citing the material from this collection, the preferred citation is: From the Special Collections of the St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of Missouri – St. Louis.