ACT Summer Institute
- July 28-31, 2014 | 9:00-3:00 PM | Register Online
- $499 per student
- $449 early registration fee (by June 15, 2014)
The UMSL ACT test preparation program covers skills needed for success on the ACT.
The ACT Summer Institute consists of 20 hours of classroom instruction covered in an intensive one-week format. The Summer Institute features instruction from an ACT test preparation expert and extensive online review tools. Our comprehensive program emphasizes all ACT test components: Test Taking Strategies, Question Formats, Math, English, Reading Comprehension, and Science Reasoning.
Students are provided with an in-depth review of the exam materials, insight into strategies for succeeding on standardized tests, and a comprehensive study plan. Class sessions use real test questions to show just how these skills are tested. The course fee includes all classroom and online sessions and course materials.
Students also receive access to online review sessions and open office hours in the time leading up to fall exam dates.
The ACT Summer Institute Covers:
- Practice techniques for selecting numbers for problems containing variables
- Learn efficient approaches to complicated multi-step problems
- Discover tactics for translating difficult word problems into equations
- Identify correct idiomatic speech in sentence correction problems
- Understand the basic concepts of rhetorical construction
- Learn which grammar errors are most frequently tested
- Understand which part of the passage to read for reading comprehension questions
- Recognize the difference between global and local test items
- Identify passages written from the journalistic and engaged perspectives
Science Reasoning Topics
- Identify parameters for test items involving graphs and charts
- Interpolate or extrapolate answers from data given in tables
- Recognize the point of an experiment in research summary items
General Test Taking Topics
- Use the process of elimination
- Master time management skills
- Minimize test anxiety
- Identify common distractors
Online review tools to help you perform at your peak!
The ACT Summer Institute includes online tools to help you perform at your peak on exam day. Four online review sessions are held in the weeks leading up to the fall ACT exam dates. Online office hours provide a convenient way for students to address specific questions or concerns that they may have. Students need only have high speed access to the internet, speakers, and Adobe Flash Player to participate in the online sessions – no additional software is required.
The interactive one-hour online review sessions allow students to participate and ask questions of our expert test prep instructors. The live online review sessions are also recorded - students can still benefit even if their schedule doesn’t allow live participation. Review sessions will follow the schedule of the Summer Institute.
Online office hours are open to any student in an ACT Summer Institute. Instructors will be on hand to answer any questions. The “drop in” sessions and are student-directed; meaning that there will not be a planned presentation each session. Our instructors will answer questions and work through problems in the order that they are received.