The Pierre Laclede Honors College is the only honors college in the United States with its own campus, containing complete instructional, residential, and recreational facilities. In this type of environment, the Honors College students, faculty, and staff are constantly interacting. This means that the students have countless opportunities to learn outside of their classes. The diversity of the Honors College students combined with their desire to learn makes the Pierre Laclede Honors College an idyllic setting for students committed to their educations.
If you are thinking of a career as a Doctor of Optometry, the Honors College-School of Optometry seven-year program can pave your way into the University of Missouri-St. Louis College of Optometry.
- You qualify for the program while you are a senior in high school.
- You are granted provisional acceptance into the University of Missouri-St. Louis College of Optometry after your admission to the Pierre Laclede Honors College.
- Your first year of optometry school completes your undergraduate degree requirements.
- You can apply for formal admission to the College of Optometry at the beginning of your third year in the Honors College program.
As a scholar in the Optometry Pre-professional Honors Program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Complete your undergraduate and professional studies in seven years.
- Participate in clinically related activities, such as observing examinations.
- Have a member of the College of Optometry faculty as a professional and academic advisor throughout your Honors College program.
- Participate in the activities of the American Optometric Student Association.
To apply you must:
- Be currently a high school senior who has scored a minimum composite score of 27 on the ACT or be in the top 10% of your senior class
- Be accepted to the UMSL Honors College Program
To remain in the program you must:
- Achieve a grade of B or higher in Honors College courses, with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.2 or higher
- Retain full-time undergraduate status
To apply to the College of Optometry you must:
- Take the Optometry Admissions Test
- Complete an interview with College of Optometry faculty
- Complete prerequisites for the College of Optometry