This residency provides advanced clinical education in the diagnosis and management of eye and vision problems encountered in pediatric eye care.These include, but are not limited to: amblyopia, strabismus, ocular pathology, refractive errors, developmental delays and premature birth.
Program Mission Statement
The Residency Program in Pediatric Optometry at Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics provides qualified optometrists with advanced clinical education in the diagnosis and management of eye and vision problems encountered in pediatric eye care.
The Residency in Pediatric Optometry will provide the resident with opportunity for:
- strengthen the resident's expertise in refractive disorders of infants and children
- enhance examination skills with pediatric patients
- strengthen the resident's expertise in the management of accommodative esotropia
- increase the resident's understanding of non-refractive strabismus and motility disorders
- expand the knowledge of diagnosing and treating amblyopia
- develop skills in presenting to other professionals
- develop critical assessments skill for journal articles and reviews