The purpose of the Leadership Council is to assist the College of Optometry in the fulfillment of its mission: to provide the highest quality teaching, research, patient care and service to the community.
The Council carries out three specific roles:
- Advise the College, through the dean, regarding its academic activities (i.e., teaching, research, patient care, service, and economic impact).
- Assist the College in communicating with its various constituencies, in order to advance its cause.
- Assist with its fund development efforts.
The Council consists of members with the following composition:
- A total of no more than 30 voting members approved by the Chancellor.
- The dean and development officer serve as ex-officio, non-voting members.
- One faculty member from the College of Optometry serves as a non-voting member.
The Council holds two formal meetings each year (fall and spring). In addition, informal meetings of committees or task forces or between the officers and dean may take place throughout the year.
Leadership of the Council is provided by a chair and vice-chair, assisted by the dean.
Staff support of the Council is provided by the Vice Chancellor of University Advancement and the Director of Constituent Relations at UMSL. Members of the office of development assist with activities and attend meetings as necessary.
Communications, logistical arrangements, and the preparation of minutes for each Council meeting is handled by the Director of Constituent Relations.