If you are not an UMSL student and attend a MAUI institution, please visit the MAUI website.
INFORMATION BELOW IS VALID FOR UMSL STUDENTS ONLY
Location: Msida, Malta, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program through the MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange Consortium
Language of Instruction: English
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Spring
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: Early October - Late June
Spring Semester: Early February - Late June
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply early - your chances of admission are increased by doing so. Students interested in competitive locations, such as this one, should apply in February of the year academic year prior to term. For example, if you are interested in the Spring 2016, apply in January 2015.
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (final)
- Spring: February 16 (final). If after this date, see a Study Abroad Coordinator to determine whether or not placement is still available.
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements. This program is mostly suitable for students who are flexible in their credit taking. Students are advised to have extra study-units (classes) in mind in case of any arising clashes in the time-table.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Art History
- Business - Accounting
- Business - Business Administration
- Business - Finance
- Business - Information Systems
- Business - Information Systems
- Business - International Business
- Business - Logistics & Operations Management
- Business - Management
- Business - Marketing
- Computer Science
- Creative Writing
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- East Asian Studies
- Education - Adult & Higher Education
- Education - Early Childhood Education
- Education - Elementary Education
- Education - General Educational Studies
- Education - Physical Education
- Education - Secondary Education
- Education - Special Education
- Engineering - Civil Engineering
- Engineering - Electrical Engineering
- Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
- Film Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Relations
- Languages - Ancient Greek
- Languages - Arabic
- Languages - Chinese
- Languages - French
- Languages - German
- Languages - Japanese
- Languages - Latin
- Languages - Modern Greek
- Languages - Spanish
- Latin American Studies
- Liberal Studies
- Media Studies
- Modern European Studies
- Music - Education
- Music - Performance
- Political Science
- Pre-Law or Law
- Public Policy and Administration
- Social Work
- Studio Art - Art Education
- Studio Art - Drawing
- Studio Art - General Fine Arts
- Studio Art - Graphic Design
- Studio Art - Painting
- Studio Art - Photography
- Women and Gender Studies
The University: The only university on Malta is the University of Malta. It owes its origins to the Jesuit Collegium Melitense, founded in 1592, and became a university in 1769. It is the oldest university in the Commonwealth outside of the United Kingdom. It has a long- standing reputation for academic excellence and its honors degrees are widely recognized. Many members of the mostly Maltese faculty have received their doctorates from Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and other prestigious universities worldwide. The university has approximately 11,000 students from 77 different countries.
Academics: Progress is usually assessed through written assignments, tests and exams. An A-F grading scale applies. The teaching method combines teacher/student contact, through lectures and tutorials, with an emphasis on independent study. Visiting students are required to remain in Malta until the end of their semester exams and hand in all assignments before leaving.
Housing: Housing is arranged through a housing contractor. Accommodation is available in 7 / 8 bedroom town houses. Each House is equipped with 5 bathrooms, kitchen and dining facilities. Bedrooms all have a wash hand basin with hot and cold water. Each of the bedrooms can be shared by two persons or contracted on single room occupancy.
Activities and Programs: An orientation day is held for international students prior to the commencement of each semester. On orientation day, international students are introduced to different aspects of the University and are guided through their registration process. Moreover, students are introduced to various aspects of life in Malta
Location: The university is located in Msida (pronounced im-seeda ), on Malta, which is one of a group of islands and rocky islets that comprise the Republic of Malta. The island, with a population of 350,000 and measuring about 17 by 10 miles, is in the center of the Mediterranean about 60 miles south of Sicily. The Maltese have one of the highest standards of living in the Mediterranean and an impressive record in health and education. Msida is a suburb of Valletta. The republic's capital, Calletta, is easily reached from the university by bus, affording convenient access to the capital's museums, palaces, hospital, theater, libraries, botanical gardens and churches.
International Office Website: http://www.um.edu.mt/int-eu/visitingstudents
Course Offerings: http://www.um.edu.mt/courses/
Cost Estimates for 2014-15*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|HTH mandatory insurance||$175.00|
|Books and course materials||$40.00|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$1,540.00|
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2014/15 rate - 2015/16 tuition rate TBA April 2015. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs are based off a five month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.