Students are encouraged, if possible, to participate in a UMSL-sponsored study abroad program. There are over 80 opportunities, with programs available for the fall, winter, or summer semesters. It is also generally less expensive to participate in a UMSL program. However, students may participate in approved non-UMSL programs when a UMSL program is not available (for example, Thailand or Argentina). In the end, the most important thing is that you study abroad! The Study Abroad Office is here to assist you with whatever qualified program you choose.

If you wish to participate in a non-UMSL study abroad program, please contact the Study Abroad Office for program approval. Your program must meet the necessary academic standards in order to qualify the credit as acceptable toward your degree at UMSL. You must make sure the program is accredited by the foreign country's ministry of education (or run through an accredited U.S. institution). The program provider or institution should be able to provide you with this information.

The study abroad advisors are here to help you find a program that fits your personal and academic needs. Whether you choose to participate in a UMSL program or another approved program, you must still apply through the Study Abroad Office before the UMSL deadline and complete the same UMSL checklist of procedures for the application requirements. *Please note there will also likely be a separate application process from your program provider you will need to complete, as well as another deadline to keep in consideration.

Please note that the University of Missouri System does not support any programs to countries for which the U.S. Department of State has issued Travel Warnings. According to the U.S. Department of State, "Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that Americans avoid a certain country." In an effort to ensure the health, safety, and security of its students and constituents, the University of Missouri adheres to these recommendations. If a student or constituent chooses to study in one of these countries against the advice of the University, he or she must take a leave of absence and will not have access to university support, resources, or facilities during that time.

For more information on the process for Non-UMSL programs, please click here