Do I have to speak a foreign language?
No! Many programs are taught in English, even in non-English speaking countries. However, study abroad IS the best way to learn a foreign language!

Is my eligibility for a program determined based upon my GPA at time I apply or based upon my GPA at the time I will begin my study abroad program?
Eligibility is based on your UMSL cumulative GPA at the time of application. Students are expected to maintain that GPA or higher during any subsequent terms prior to departure.

May an academic reference letter be submitted by e-mail?
You should submit the provided academic reference forms. Academic references by email are not preferred. 

May I use an academic reference from a college that I previously attended?
Only transfer students who have had only one semester at UMSL may request academic references from previous colleges; however, they must still submit at least one from an UMSL faculty.

May I submit reference forms from my academic advisor or employer?
Yes, but only in addition to, not in place of, the required number of forms from UMSL faculty.

When are announcements made of acceptance into a Study Abroad program?
You should hear from the Study Abroad Office about the status of your application within two weeks of the final deadline for your program.


Is study abroad expensive?
For most programs, you pay UMSL tuition and you can use your financial aid, making study abroad as affordable as studying at UMSL.

Can I charge the program fee for a faculty-led program to my student account?
No. Program fees must be paid by check or money order addressed to UMSL.

If I have already paid the program fee for a faculty-led program, but suddenly cannot take part in my Study Abroad program, can the payment be deferred to a program in the next semester?
No. Students enrolling in programs should understand their payment is the firm commitment to participate. Immediately upon receipt of your payment, the Study Abroad Office begins making reservations and payments on your behalf. Deposits and programs fees are non-returnable and non-transferable (unless the program is canceled by the Study Abroad Office). 


Are there scholarships?
Yes! International Studies and Programs offers merit-based scholarships, and several other campus departments and private organizations also provide study abroad scholarships.

Are scholarship decisions made prior to the deadline of the program fee payment?
Typically, no. Scholarship decisions are made near the end of each semester, usually after the final payment for a program fee is due. 

When are scholarship awards disbursed?
Ten days before the start of the semester/term (by the UMSL academic calendar).

Is it possible to get more in scholarships than the cost of the tuition portion of the study program itself?
Unless you receive additional scholarships from other sources, UMSL International Studies & Programs scholarships will likely not cover the entire cost of your program.

If I am not a full-time UMSL student, can I still qualify for a scholarship?
Scholarships are for full-time degree-seeking UMSL students only.

Will the credit apply towards my degree?
All study abroad programs are for academic credit. By planning in advance with your academic advisor and the Study Abroad Office, you can find a program that fulfills degree requirements.


Can I study abroad during the last semester before my graduation?
Yes; however, this is extremely discouraged. Often, we will not receive your transcript from your host institution until several months after your term abroad, delaying your graduation term. Additionally, should a course you require no longer be offered abroad, you may further delay graduation. Students who study abroad during that last semester risk extending their graduation term.

How will my credits transfer?
That depends on the program. Students earn UMSL in-residence credit on exchange and faculty-led programs (with the exception of Missouri Greece, Missouri Africa, and the Summer Irish Studies program). Students participating on Non-UMSL will earn transfer credit that is not considered in-residence.