M-277: University Club Archives
HISTORY: Founded on March 4, 1872 to ï¿½promote literature, science, and art, and to secure a closer union and co-operation of college and university men and graduates, with a view to broader and higher cultureï¿½, by the mid-20th century the University Club was one of the oldest still practicing gentlemanï¿½s clubs in the country. Throughout the years, the University Club hosted lectures by people like Charles Lindbergh and others.The club changed fundamentally in 1968 as women were allowed to be full members for the first time.
The club built the University Club Tower in 1975 across from the St. Louis Galleria at the southeast corner of Clayton and Brentwood Boulevards. The University Club of St. Louis closed in 2007.
SCOPE: The University Club collection contains the minutes of the University Club of St. Louis as well as articles, materials.
HOLDINGS: Approximately 9 linear feet of papers, ledgers, printed materials, and ephemera.
ACCESS: Portions of the collection may be photocopied, digitally scanned, or photographed, depending on condition. A finding aid to this collection is available for download.
University Club Archives Finding Aid (.pdf)
Due to rarity and condition, access to this collection is limited please contact the staff member listed below.
In observance of security procedures, certain services may not be available shortly before the daily closing time.
Direct questions or comments regarding this site to
The Saint Louis Mercantile Library at the University of Missouri-St. Louis
St. Louis Subject Specialist