HISTORY: Founded in the first half of the nineteenth century in St. Louis by prominent citizens, this early orphanage has grown into an exemplary and historic children's residence and shelter. The Edgewood center donated its holdings of early records to the Mercantile Library in 1992.
SCOPE: The collection spans the nineteenth century, including minutes and annual reports, and is strongest in archival holdings from the 1840s to 1900. The collection holds significant documentary material for Civil War studies focused on the homefront, and for genealogists and historians of early American charitable institutions.
HOLDINGS: 15 linear feet of archivally boxed material.
ACCESS: Special Collection M-142 is accessible through a container list inventory on site. Much of the material exists on microfilm in the Western Historical Manuscripts Collection in the Thomas Jefferson Library building as well. Portions of the collection may be photocopied, digitally scanned or photographed depending on condition.