HISTORY: This century-old chemical company based in St. Louis has competed for years in business internationally. The collection of advertising designs, mock-ups and tear sheets was donated by the company to the Mercantile Library in 1990. It helps document the growth of corporate public relations for a major United States industrial firm, and it offers a portion of the history of two important aspects of St. Louis business, its chemical industry, and the development of its advertising profession.
SCOPE: The collection covers advertising art from the 1940's through the early 1960's, approximately over a twenty-five-year period of growth for the company during the war and post-war era.
HOLDINGS: Approximately 35 linear feet of archival material, arranged chronologically.
ACCESS: Special Collection M-135 is accessible through a brief inventory. Portions of the collection may be photocopied, digitally scanned, or photographed.