The Undergraduate Research Symposium at UMSL provides a professional-style venue for undergraduates to present their original research, scholarship, creative works and performance to faculty, staff, administrators, students and visitors.
The URS is an UMSL-wide event organized annually in the spring by a team of dedicated students, faculty and staff members representing many academic units and disciplines.
The URS is an inclusive event for all UMSL undergraduates, regardless of discipline or project. Presentations are typically in oral or poster format, and the most common disciplines represented are from the sciences, but students from ALL disciplines are both welcome and encouraged to present in a format that is appropriate for their field. There is no cost to students who follow application guidelines. Resources to prepare for the event and feedback following student presentations are both provided. We strive to provide undergraduates the support they need to have a successful academic conference experience.
URS 2021 will be held April 30
1:00-3:00 via Microsoft Teams
Student presenters will be available during this time to share documents, poster files, images, and other relevant information with visitors of the event for synchronous video or discussion-board-style interactions.
Direct Link to the MS Teams Event
(You will need to sign in with your UMSL SSO)
To participate in the URS, students must:
- have worked on the project as an UMSL undergraduate student
- currently be an UMSL undergraduate student (or have graduated in the previous semester)*
- have an UMSL faculty sponsor to agree to oversee the project
- submit the Intent to Participate form by March 15, 2021
- submit the Final Version of the Project form and attachments by April 18, 2021
- have their faculty sponsor approve the Final Version of the project (via the UMSL IRL) by April 25, 2021
- be available to present (this year, in an online format--more details coming soon) on April 30, 2021
Contact Kate Votaw (Undergraduate Research Coordinator) at UndergradResearch@umsl.edu with any questions, concerns, or ideas for how you can present at the 2021 URS!
*Exceptions may be made for students who applied for, but were not able to participate in URS 2020
A distributed model of funding support is employed, such that departments, colleges, student organizations, outside donors and others may contribute towards event expenses including cost of the event and prizes.