This integrated BA/BS and MA ("2+3") dual degree program in Mathematics is designed to provide an opportunity for mathematics majors with a strong academic record to start earning graduate work credit before completing their undergraduate degree. The program also shortens the time required for graduate students to earn their master’s degree. A student in this program can apply up to 12 credit hours of 4000-and-above level courses towards both programs.
Undergraduate math majors can apply for provisional admission for this program if:
- They have completed at least 60 credit hours of coursework and
- Their GPA is 3.0 or higher.
Students submit their applications to the department. Once a student is admitted in this provisional status, the student continues to work toward his/her undergraduate degree until the student completes 90-102 undergraduate credit hours. Meanwhile the student will be advised to complete the required courses for graduate admission.
A provisionally admitted student is reviewed for formal admission after completing 90 undergraduate credit hours. Minimal requirements for admission include:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of the review
- MATH 1320, MATH 2020, MATH 2450, MATH 3250 - all completed with a grade of B- or higher.
A student’s application meeting the minimal requirements does not mean the student is automatically admitted in this program. The math graduate committee will review the application and make a decision. In case the application is approved, the student needs to complete a formal application for admission into the graduate program and is recommended for admission by the graduate committee.
- The current separate requirements for BA/BS and MA in math remain unchanged.
- Once the student is admitted in this program, the student is allowed to take graduate courses (paid with graduate fees).
- The student in this program can apply up to 12 credit hours of 4000-and-above level courses towards both the bachelor and master’s degrees. The student may get the BA/BS and MA degrees at the same time.
- In case a student cannot complete the master’s degree for some reason, up to 12 credit hours of graduate level courses can be applied towards the BA/BS degree.
- Students will pay graduate fees for all courses after being admitted and starting the program.