HISTORY: The Cumberland Presbyterian Church is a Presbyterian denomination first formed in the Cumberland Valley of Tennessee in 1810. The church operated primarily as a frontier institution in 19th century America, establishing new churches in the modern-day Midwest and Southern states.
The Cumberland Presbyterian mission in Alton, Illinois was formed sometime prior to 1848 and employed traveling missionaries to preach and oversee the group.
In 1863, the Cumberland Presbyterian General Assembly appointed a missionary committee in Alton, Illinois, to act in the place of the Board of Missions located at Lebanon, Tennessee. In 1865 this committee was organized into a regular Board overseeing all missions in Illinois and north of Tennessee.
SCOPE: This ledger book contains a brief handwritten history of the Alton, Illinois congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, signed by secretary Lucy V. Miller and clerk H.E. Greenwood, as well as the notes of congregational meetings from September 22, 1860 through August 5, 1867.
HOLDINGS: One ledger book, 18.5cm tall, 17cm wide, 2cm thick
ACCESS: This collection is available for on-site use only in the Rare Book and Manuscripts Reading Room. Some of the material in Special Collection M-448 may be photocopied, digitally scanned or photographed, subject to condition. Researchers are advised to call ahead concerning changes in hours due to University intersessions and holidays. The St. Louis Mercantile Library is located on levels one and two of the Thomas Jefferson Library building.
In observance of security procedures, certain services may not be available shortly before the daily closing time.