Thank you for scheduling an appointment with us!

The lists below outline the items you'll need to bring to your appointment.

Proof of citizenship. 

  • This is typically one of the following:
    • If born IN the United States:
      • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (can be expired)
      • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
        • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
        • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
        • Lists parent(s)’ full names
        • Has the signature of the city, county, or state registrar
        • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
        • Has the seal of issuing authority
    • If born OUTSIDE the United States
    • If you need additional examples of proof of citizenship, please visit the Department of State's website.

Photo Identification.

  • You must present a physical, government-issued photo identification document (ID) when submitting Form DS-11 if you are over 18 or the parent/guardian identifying an applicant under the age of 18. You must present one physical, primary ID which includes your photo. We cannot accept digital IDs.
    • Examples of primary identification are as follows:
      • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
      • In-state, fully-valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
      • Certificate of Naturalization 
      • Certificate of Citizenship 
      • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
      • U.S. military or military dependent ID
      • Current (valid) foreign passport
      • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
      • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
      • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
      • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
      • Other documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents. 
    • If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs above, please present a combination of at least two secondary IDs, as follows:
      • Out-of-state driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
      • Learner's or temporary driver's permit (without a photo)
      • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID (without a photo)
      • Out-of-state, non-driver ID
      • Temporary driver's license (without a photo)
      • Social Security card
      • Voter registration card
      • Employee work ID
      • Student ID
      • School yearbook with identifiable photograph
      • Selective Service (draft) card
      • Medicare or other health card
      • Expired driver's license 
      • Form DS-71, for an Identifying Witness (only available at your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency).

Front and back photocopies of proof of citizenship and photo identification

  • The photocopies will be mailed with your application and retained by the Department of State.


  • A complete list of fees can be found here and at
    • Passport fees, expedited processing fees, file search fees, etc., are paid directly to the Department of State, and must be paid by check or money order.
    • Execution fees and passport photo fees are paid directly to UMSL, and can be paid by check, money order, or cash.
    • We do not accept debit or credit cards.

What to bring to your photo appointment:


  • Photo fees are paid directly to UMSL, and can be paid by check, money order, or cash.
  • We do not accept debit or credit cards.


  • That's literally all you need to bring - just your fees and yourself. It's very simple.

You want your photos to turn out great, and so do we. Here are some tips to help make that possible:

  • Smiles are fine! Just make sure they're natural and not exaggerated.
  • Yes, it's okay if your hair is over your ears. 
  • Remove your glasses for the photo, if possible.
  • Please try to avoid wearing red or brightly colored clothing, as the colors tend to reflect on our photo backdrop.
  • No military, police, or work uniforms may be worn for passport photos. If you're coming on your lunch break, or on your way to or from work, it's best to bring a spare shirt.
  • We have a mirror available so you can check your hair before your picture.
  • We will gladly retake your picture until you're happy with it (within reason - we will do one or two retakes, but not seventeen.)