Are you eligible for STEM OPT Extension?
Students who graduated from UMSL with a STEM degree may be eligible for an additional 24 monhts of OPT. Only majors with specific CIP codes are considered to be STEM eligible. The CIP Code is listed on your I-20 in section of Program of study. Please note that certificates or minors cannot be used to qualify for STEM OPT Extension.
Application DatesYou can submit your application to UMSL Global up to 90 days before the expiration of the EAD.
The application must be received by USCIS before the current EAD expires. Students who have applied for the extension may continue working on the expired EAD for 180 days or until the application is approved as long as they have received the receipt of the application from USCIS.
While on STEM OPT Extension
Report OPT changes within 10 days of the change. To report changes, contact Lenka Garimella at email@example.com.
While on STEM OPT:
- You must be employed in a position directly related to the program of study listed on your I-20
- The employer must be E-Verified
- You can be unemployed for no more than no more than 150 days of unemployment during your entire time on OPT (90 days OPT, 60 days STEM OPT)
- You must submit an updated I-983 completed by you and your employer to the International Student Services office for any employment change within 10 days of the change. You must submit I-983 evaluations within the assigned deadline
Validation Report: Students on STEM OPT extension must submit a validation report confirming current employment to UMSL Global every six months starting from the date extension begins and ending when the student’s F-1 status ends. The validation report is due within 10 days of each reporting date. Simply forward SEVP portal Validation Report notice to ISSS confirming or updating any changes. NOTE: Failure to submit the annual 6 month report will result in the termination of your I-20 by USCIS.
I-983 Evaluation on Student Progress: Students must also submit the annual Evaluation on Student Progress listed on the I-983 (page 5). The first annual progress report must be submitted to ISSS 12 months after the approval of your STEM OPT.
The second annual report must be submitted within 24 months after the approval of yoru STEM OPT. Failure to submit the I-983 reports within 10 days of these anniversary dates will result in the termination of your I-20 by USCIS.
If you change employers while on the STEM OPT Extension:
- You will need to submit 5th page of I-983 (Final Evaluation on Student Progres) signed by your previous employer to Lenka Garimella at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will need to complete and submit new I-983 Training Plan form to UMSL Global
- UMSL Global will review your documents, update your SEVIS record, and ship you a new I-20.
- To request shipping of new updated I-20 please use eShipGlobal.