- Go to the Avant STAMP 4S Registration page
- The student must use the UMSL SSO email address when making the test purchase.
- If the student has not setup the UMSL email address, please visit Campus E-mail and SSO ID to do so
- Failure to use the UMSL email will result in a delay of testing.
- After making the purchase, the student will receive a series of emails with instructions from Avant, please read each email very carefully.
- Between 24-48 hours after purchase, the student will receive an email inviting them to register for a testing time.
- The student must use the legal name as well as the email address used when making the purchase to register for the exam.
- The student’s legal name should match the legal photo ID (passport) that will be required for remote testing
- When the student has completed the exam, the student must email Denise Mussman at email@example.com with the subject line: English Placement Exam – Completed
- DO NOT email Dr. Mussman until the student has completed the remotely proctored exam.
- Only faculty at UMSL will have access to the exam results, and exam-takers will not receive any results or feedback from the testing company.
Generally, all new undergraduate and most new graduate international students must complete the EAP exam.
An exam waiver, however, may be considered for students who:
- Are citizens of a recognized English-Speaking country
- Had at least a 94 TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IELTS, 180 Cambridge English C1 Advanced, 65 PTE-A or 120 Duolingo
- Note: Graduate students in the College of Business Administration are not eligible for waivers based on previous exam scores.
- Have completed 30 or more academic credit hours at a US community college or university (ESL and non-academic classes do not count toward this 30-hour minimum)
- Hold an H1-B, L-1, or R-1 visa
- Are non-degree-seeking students maintaining status at another institution
- Are J-1 visiting/exchange students studying at UMSL for a single semester
- Visiting students undertaking a year-long program at UMSL must take the EAP exam,
- EAP classes are not required for yearlong students but these students are encouraged to enroll in any EAP courses recommended after taking the exam.
The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) requires international students who are non-native speakers of English to be sufficiently proficient in English in order to pursue their intended academic studies.
New international undergraduate and graduate students at UMSL are required to take the Avant STAMP 4 Skills online proctored exam by the designated semester deadline or during orientation with an additional cost.
This exam must be completed before students can finalize course registration. Based on the results of the exam, students may be recommended or required to take one or more English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses at UMSL:
- Required EAP courses are pre-requisites for academic studies and must be completed during the student’s first academic year.
- Recommended EAP courses are not pre-requisites for academic study (except EAP 1013), but completion of recommended courses will improve students' abilities to succeed in degree programs.
- Students may be enrolled concurrently in EAP and academic courses.
- All EAP courses (except EAP1003x) are taken for academic credit and may apply towards the undergraduate academic degree.
- EAP are an additional cost for graduate students but if required must be taken in order to proceed in their academic program.
- Students may discuss their questions about academic courses, EAP courses, and their academic programs with their academic advisor.
- Additional information can be found on the English for Academic Purposes (EAP)