Application FAQs

How do I apply for admission?

Prospective undergraduate students should complete the Application for Undergraduate Admission. UMSL also accepts the Common Application. You will also need to request official transcripts to be sent from your high school (and all colleges/universities where you have college credit), and submit an official ACT or SAT score. Please call the Office of Admissions at (314) 516-5451 if you have questions.

Prospective graduate students should complete the Application for Graduate Admission and contact the Graduate School with any questions at (314) 516-5900.

When should I apply?

The best time for undergraduates to apply to UMSL is early in your senior year of high school. We begin reviewing applications in early-September. Students should complete the FAFSA by Feb. 1. For full consideration of scholarships and housing, it is best to apply before March 1 of your senior year.

Graduate Students should refer to their degree program of interest for application deadlines.

How long does it take to receive an admissions decision?

Once we have received all of the necessary documents, it usually takes 1-2 business days to receive an undergraduate admissions decision.

Graduate applications may take months to complete depending on the timeline and requirements for your specific program. Please be patient as your application materials are processed.

What are the admission requirements for freshmen?

Admission to UMSL is based upon a 120-point scale, consisting of a core high school curriculum, class rank or core grade point average, and standardized test scores (ACT or SAT), as outlined by the Board of Curators for the University of Missouri system. Please review the First-Year Admission Requirements.

Do I have to send transcripts from the schools at which I am taking dual enrollment courses?

It is not necessary to submit college transcripts when you first apply to UMSL. However, after graduation, you must request official, final transcripts from both your high school and any college/university at which you earned college credit.

What is UMSL's ACT/SAT school code?

2383 (ACT) | 6889 (SAT)

Do you super-score the ACT?

UMSL does super-score the ACT (meaning take the highest sub-scores from each of the ACT tests taken and create a new composite). UMSL takes the highest composite score from any of the ACT tests taken.

What is a "core GPA" and how is it calculated?

UMSL calculates a new grade point average based on the core classes we review for admission. Our enrollment advisors review each transcript to find those specific core units that we require for admission and we calculate a new "core" GPA based on those classes. While your cumulative GPA may be one number, your core GPA may be different because we take out classes like PE, Health, Weight Training, Shop, etc.

What is a personal statement?

An essay you write to show the admission review committee who you are and why you should be admitted to UMSL. It should be no more than 250 words double spaced.

What happens after I submit my application?

You will receive an email with an SSO ID (your UMSL username) in 1-2 business days after submission with instructions on how to create a password to login to the Triton Portal. You will use the TritonPortal to check your application status or to see what items are outstanding.

Once your application has been submitted it will be reviewed by our admissions staff and you will be notified of the status of your admission after all materials are submitted.

What is a conditional admit?

Some students upon review will be admitted as a conditionally admitted student which means you are required to participate in the Triton Learning Enrichment for Academic Performance (LEAP) Program. This transition program is designed to provide you with the guidance and support you need to successfully complete your first year of college. Our dedicated staff is committed to your success and looks forward to helping you reach your academic and professional goals. You will be assigned a LEAP Success Coach in the Office of Student Enrichment and Achievement, as well as a peer mentor, to provide the following support in your transition to UMSL:

  1. Connect you to university resources and services (tutors, supplemental instruction, personal development workshops, etc.)
  2. Monitor your academic progress and performance indicators (class attendance, assignment completion, mid-term grades, etc.)
  3. Provide academic skill development activities to ensure your academic success
  4. Assist you with understanding and navigating the campus environment
  5. Explore the different majors available at UMSL and help you find the best fit
  6. Encourage you to get involved in activities to enhance your UMSL experience

Your admission decision email will provide you with more information and a agreement you will sign. You can also speak to an admission recruitment specialist to answer any questions.

Financial Aid & Scholarship FAQs

Information about scholarships, grants, loans and more can be found on the Student Financial Aid website.

How do I apply for scholarships?

All automatic merit scholarships are awarded based off of information obtained from the application for admission. However, a separate Scholarship Application for non-automatic scholarships is located on the Student Financial Aid website.

What is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application required for students to be considered for federal student aid. It is a free application. You can obtain a FAFSA from your high school college counselor, the Office of Student Financial Aid at UMSL, or complete the FAFSA online. Applicants should complete the FAFSA by Feb. 1.

What is UMSL's FAFSA code?


What does EFC mean?

A student's Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid. The EFC tells the government how much a family can commit to a student's educational expenses.

How much does it cost?

The average annual cost for undergraduate Missouri residents is estimated at $11,554, including tuition and fees. Room and board fees are additional for those students wishing to live on campus. Total cost for undergraduate Missouri residents living on campus is estimated at just over $22,000. However, the vast majority of UMSL students qualify for financial aid, which can dramatically lower the annual cost. This is before any financial aid is applied. Non-resident students pay additional fees. Additional information may be found on the Student Financial Aid website.

General FAQs

How many students are at UMSL?

UMSL enrolls more than 15,000 students total.

Where in St. Louis are you located?

UMSL is the largest public research university in the St. Louis region. Our campus is conveniently located off I-70 on 450 rolling acres in St. Louis County. 

What kinds of programs are offered?

UMSL offers 48 bachelor’s degree programs, 36 master’s degree programs, 15 doctoral degree programs, 24 graduate certificate programs, two education specialist programs, and the only professional optometry degree in Missouri.

What is your student teacher ratio?


Do you have an honors program?

UMSL offers an honors college program called the Pierre Laclede Honors College, accepting only the highest academic achievers. Additional scholarships are available through the Honors College. Class sizes are smaller, providing a more discussion-based curriculum.

What is a credit hour?

A credit hour is equal to one hour of class each week during a semester. For example: an English class that is three credit hours meets three hours each week during the semester. A five credit hour chemistry class would meet five hours each week including a lecture, lab and recitation.

Missouri Reverse Transfer FAQs

What is reverse transfer?

Reverse transfer is the process of allowing students who have completed credits for an associate degree to earn that degree even if they have transferred to a different university or have stopped out of higher education altogether.

Who is eligible for reverse transfer?

A student must have earned a minimum of 15 credit hours at a single two-year institution to be eligible for an MRT associate degree. Students are not eligible for the program if they currently possess an associate degree or higher.

What institutions participate in MRT?

All Missouri public higher education institutions participate in the MRT program. Independent institutions are invited to participate in the MRT. Any independent institution that terminates its participation in the MRT will continue to honor the agreement for their students with active agreements. Additionally, the submission of necessary student data is a condition of participation in the MRT.

What is the “degree-granting" institution?

The degree-granting institution is the university that will award the MRT student with an associate degree. This institution will count the student in its yearly graduation report. If two or more institutions have the same number of transferable credits to the four-year institution, the most recently attended institution shall be the degree-granting institution. If multiple options still exist at this point, the student will be asked for their institution preference.

What is the "host" institution?

The host institution is the institution which transfers credits back to the degree-granting institution. The host institution may be either a four-year or a two-year institution.

What is the responsibility of the degree-granting institution?

The degree-granting institution is responsible for reviewing the eligible MRT student’s records and awarding the degree. They are required to submit a final transcript noting conferment to the host institution at no charge to the student. The degree-granting institution is responsible for closing the student out of the MRT program, and providing any notifications and/or updates to the MRT student.

What is the responsibility of the host institution?

The host institution must identify students eligible for the MRT program and inform the degree-granting institution of the student’s desire to participate in the program. The host institution agrees to submit all necessary transcripts to the degree-granting institution without charge to the student. The host institution must also monitor and report on the students who opt-out of MRT.

What is the reverse transfer process?

All institutions will use an automated search to identify inactive students who have completed 15 hours with a single institution but never completed a degree. The host institution will contact those students and introduce them to the MRT program. The transcripts of students who opt to participate in MRT will be sent electronically by the host institution to the degree-granting institution. Transcripts will be sent at established intervals after the initial submission (e.g., annually). The release of transcripts will be in accordance with the host institution’s policies, and the acceptance of transfer credit will be determined by the degree-granting institution. The degree-granting institution will determine the requirements for degree completion and inform the student. Degree-granting institutions are encouraged to substitute any institution-unique course requirements, especially those that require a student to be physically present on campus. When the degree is awarded by the degree-granting institution, it will send an official transcript noting conferment to the host institution.

Is an associate degree obtained through MRT different from any other associate degrees?


How do students participate in MRT?

All students wishing to participate in MRT are required to opt-in to the program. By doing so, the student agrees to the exchange of transcript information between the host and degree-granting institutions and is automatically declared for degree candidacy.

Can students opt-out of MRT?

If a student graduates from the host institution, is no longer actively enrolled, or self-identifies to be removed from the program, they are opted-out of the MRT program.

Do students have an appeal process if they are not satisfied with MRT?

If MRT decisions are made that are not acceptable to the student, the student is allowed to appeal by contacting the articulation and transfer officer at the degree-granting institution.

Is there a time limit for students to complete their degree requirements in the MRT program?

There is no time limit for students completing the associate degree through the MRT program. Students will remain in the program as long as they are continuously enrolled at the host institution.

Student Life FAQs

Information about student organizations, Greek life, cultural events, service opportunities and more can be found on the Student Involvement website.

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes. Students are allowed to bring a car to campus. However, it isn't necessary. UMSL has two MetroLink stations (UMSL North and UMSL South) that allow students to access the city as well as campus shuttles that run throughout campus.

Do I have to pay for parking?

The cost for a parking permit is included in your student activity fees. You may pick up your parking permit at the Cashier's Office.

What types of transportation are available if I don’t have a car?

St. Louis Metro is the area’s public transportation service with both bus and rail stops at the campus. All enrolled students can purchase a $25 Metro pass each semester and can pick them up in the Student Financial Services Office.

Is there on-campus housing?

Yes. UMSL offers suite-style living in Oak Hall. In suite-style living, you will have your own bedroom, but share a bathroom with up to three other students. UMSL also offers departmental living in the University Meadows Apartments.

How many students live on campus?

About 1,000 students live on campus.

What is Greek Life like?

UMSL has three sororities and four fraternities that are active in both campus activities and academics and assist all members with character and leadership. Greek Life is a great opportunity for friendship and school pride.

Does UMSL have any athletic teams?

Yes. UMSL Tritons compete in the Great Lakes Valley Conference at the NCAA Division II level. The Tritons field 17 athletic teams. Men’s sports include; baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming/diving, tennis, and track and field. Women’s sports include: basketball, golf, soccer, softball, swimming/diving, tennis, and volleyball.

Submitting Transcripts FAQs

Will UMSL request my transcript or do I need to?

UMSL cannot request your transcripts. Transcripts are part of your students record, which is protected by FERPA laws. You will need to contact each school and request that your official transcripts be sent.

Do I need to send transcripts from every school individually?

Yes, UMSL requires official transcripts from every school where you have attended for college credit or have earned college credit, even if the credits have been transferred to a later institution. This includes advanced college credit taken while in high school. UMSL can not process your application for admission until all official transcripts have been received. We check the National Student Clearinghouse to verify your enrollment at all schools and will add any schools not listed on your application to those required for admission.

I have my official transcript in a sealed envelope; will this work?

Unfortunately, no. It is a University of Missouri System policy that transcripts must be sent direct from the institution to be considered official. Hand delivered transcripts, even if stamped and sealed, are considered unofficial.

Why does UMSL need that transcript; it's not relevant to the degree I am pursuing now?

We require a transcript from all schools attended, regardless of the transferability of the credits. UMSL needs your full academic record to determine your admission eligibility, for accreditation and for financial aid compliance. Once admitted, we then determine how your previous coursework can apply towards your UMSL degree.

UMSL is requesting a transcript from a school where I didn't complete any credit or that I don’t think I attended at all; do I need to send it?

We require transcripts from all schools where you enrolled. If a review of the National Student Clearinghouse reveals that you enrolled at another institution, we either need 1) an official transcript listing grades and/or withdrawals for classes in which you enrolled, or 2) a letter of non-enrollment from their Office of the Registrar verifying that you never attempted or completed classes. Your application is considered incomplete and will stay in a “pending” status until we receive this proof of enrollment. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more details.

The school I attended is no longer open; how to I request transcripts?

If the school you attended has many campuses or locations, contact the main campus to request your transcript. If not, or if all locations have closed down, contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education.

Will you contact me when my transcript has arrived?

No. However, once all of your transcripts arrive, UMSL will process your application and then contact you about your admission by both mail and email.

Why is MyView is asking me for my high school transcript even though I’ve completed over 24 hours of credit?

Once we receive your official college transcripts and verify that you do have 24 or more completed, transferable, college-level credit hours, the request for your high school records will be removed.

Transfer Admissions Process and Timeline FAQs

How long does it take to be admitted?

Once the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has received your completed application and all of your required official transcripts, it usually take 3-5 business days to process your application and send you a decision.

What if my GPA is below 2.3; can I still be admitted?

First, be aware that UMSL may calculate your transfer GPA for admission differently than how it is listed on your transcripts. If you think your GPA might be below our admission standard, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and inquire about having an admissions counselor do an unofficial GPA calculation for you to see where you stand. If your cumulative transfer GPA is below 2.3, then you would need to improve it before you could attend UMSL. In this case, we still want one of our transfer specialists to work with you to help get you admissible. They may recommend completing enough coursework at a community college to allow you to improve your GPA and can advise you on which courses to take to make sure that they are transferable and so that you aren't losing any time, even if you are not attending UMSL right away. Note: Coursework earned at UMSL as a non-degree seeking student is not considered when calculating your GPA for admissions and is not, therefore, recommended for students repairing their academic standings.

What do I do now that I am admitted?

The next steps for you to complete as a newly admitted UMSL student can be found on the Admitted Students page.

Who should I talk to after I am admitted?

All new UMSL students are required to meet with an academic advisor in their area of study to be able to schedule their first semester of classes. This advisor will also cover with you how your credit has officially transferred, how far into your degree you are, and what classes you will still have to complete.

Transfer Application FAQs

I applied to UMSL before but did not attend; do I need to fill out a new application?

Yes, you will need to complete a new application. We will still have any official transcripts that you had previously sent. We do need any other transcripts that you did not submit at the time or any updated transcripts of credit that you have earned since you last applied.

I’ve attended another school in the University of Missouri System; do I need to apply to UMSL separately?

Yes, each of the schools in the University of Missouri System has their own application and admission process and requirements.

I am an international student; how do I apply?

All visa-holding international students should visit the UMSL Global website for additional instructions before applying. Legal permanent residents of the United States (i.e. green card holders), can apply now.

What is the required GPA for undergraduate admission?

Students applying to the University of Missouri–St. Louis for full-time or part-time degree-seeking attendance with 24 or more completed, transferable, college-level credit hours will need a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.3 or higher to be considered for admission. Students applying with less than 24 completed, transferable, college-level credit hours will also need to meet UMSL's First-Year Admissions Requirements.

Transfer Courses and Testing FAQs

Do my credit hours expire if I haven’t attended school in a long time?

No, UMSL evaluates transfer credit regardless of its age.

Does UMSL accept CLEP testing?

Yes, UMSL accepts CLEP scores.

Does UMSL accept Advanced Placement testing?

Yes, UMSL accepts AP testing.

Where can I find information on my major or degree program?

Visit the Majors and Degree page for a list of majors and links to more information on each.

I'm still undecided about my major; which courses should I be taking prior to transferring?

Undecided students should focus on completing the requirements of the UMSL general education program. If you attend a local community college, you can find transfer guides here that can help you pick out classes at your current school that will transfer towards these general education requirements. Our Transfer Specialists can also help you in selecting the right courses.

Transfer Requirements FAQs

What are the steps required to transfer?

To apply to UMSL to become a full-time or part-time degree-seeking student, you will need to complete the steps of the transfer student application process found on our how to transfer page.

How do I find out if my credits will transfer into UMSL and how they apply towards my degree?

As part of the normal transfer process, newly admitted students are required to meet with an academic advisor to sign up for classes. Your academic advisor will discuss with you how your credit has officially transferred and fits into the requirements of your degree program. If you would like to find out how your credit could transfer to UMSL before you apply and you are transferring from a local community college, find a transfer specialist who can pre-evaluate your coursework. If you are considering transferring from any other school, you can submit unofficial transcripts to us by fax or email for a pre-evaluation.

How do I find out if my military credits will transfer?

You can include a transcript of your military credit in your request for a pre-evaluation or you can contact the UMSL Veterans Center by phone at (314) 516-6037 to discuss how your credit could transfer, as well as other services that UMSL provides to veterans.

What is the maximum amount of credit hours I can transfer to UMSL?

A student may apply a maximum 60 credit hours of transferable coursework from all two-year degree-granting institutions to their UMSL degree. With the completion of an associate degree at a Missouri community college or other partner colleges in Illinois, a student could apply all transferable first-year and sophomore level coursework to their bachelor's degree from that institution. A student may apply an unlimited number of credit hours of transferable coursework from all four-year degree granting institutions to their UMSL degree. Each degree program does require a certain amount of hours to be taken at UMSL in order to graduate, referred to as academic residency.

Where can I find information on what scholarships are available to transfer students?

Visit the Scholarships and Grants page on the Student Financial Services website.

What are the housing options for transfer students?

You may be eligible for several of UMSL’s housing options depending on your age and the number of credits that you transfer. Information on these options can be found with our Office of Residential Life.

I’m a transfer student; do I need to attend orientation?

All new transfer students are required to complete an orientation. Students admitted with 24 or more completed, transferable, college-level credit hours can choose to attend a half-day, on campus Transfer Student Orientation.

How do I transfer my UMSL credit to another school?

You will need to contact the institution that you plan to attend for information on how they will accept UMSL's credit in transfer and about their transfer process. Request your transcript from UMSL be sent to another institution.