Common Searches

M-619 Jefferson Barracks Park and National Cemetery Collection

ABSTRACT: Documents relating to the Jefferson Barracks Park and National Cemetery, circa 1946-1949.

SCOPE: This collection includes research notes, reports, and correspondence regarding the closure and preservation of the Jefferson Barracks military post. The documents discuss the history of the site in addition to surveys and plans for the use of surplus lands.

EXTENT: One folder.

HISTORY: Jefferson Barracks was established in 1826. It operated as a significant military post through several major conflicts, including the Mexican-American War, the American Civil War, and both World Wars. It was decommissioned in 1946, though the Missouri Air National Guard and Army National Guard maintain an active military presence on the site. 

After its closure, most of Jefferson Barracks was declared surplus land. In 1948, a committee pushed to turn the area into a national park, but it would ultimately be converted into a St. Louis County historical park. Other portions of the surplus land were used to expand the existing Veterans Hospital and National Cemetery.

ACCESS: This collection can be viewed on-site in the Rare Book and Manuscripts Reading Room.  Some of the material may be photocopied, digitally scanned or photographed, subject to condition and other access restrictions. Information on conducting research with the archival collections of the Library, including current building hours and reading room policies, can be found on our Research page. The St. Louis Mercantile Library is located on levels one and two of the Thomas Jefferson Library building on the University of Missouri-St. Louis’ north campus.

Preferred Citation note: The preferred citation for this collection is “From the Special Collections of the St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of Missouri – St. Louis."